What qualifications it takes to become an architect?

Asked Kansas City, Kansas

To influence my decision into going in a career in architecture by providing me more knowledge of what an architect do. Thanks for reading my question.
#architecture #architecture-and-planning #information-architecture #interior-architecture #server-architecture #architect

Lara’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

The long answer is to become an Architect requires a 5 year Bachelor's Degree or a Master's Degree in Architecture. Once you have obtained your degree, you will need to complete the Intern Development Program (takes about 3 years) and then pass 6 licensing exams. Check out ncarb.org to get more information regarding what it takes to become an Architect in regards to the intern hours and tests.

The short answer is a passion for the field, design, and constantly learning in an ever changing career with endless possibilities. An architect starts out in the field as a drafter learning about how construction documents and details are created. As you learn more and gain experience you start to manage projects, attend construction meetings, and lead teams. Further along in your career, you may have more of a marketing focus to bring new clients/projects into your firm and head the design aesthetic of your firm.

Johnny’s Answer

Hello Kira! Architecture is a wonderful career it makes you fly and crate things that are only in your mind, of course with other professionals help such as engineers, contractors, together we solve a problem and give shape to function. In a big or small scale, we have the responsibility to change people's life for good, we define the way they are going to live, work, etc.

The qualifications I think someone needs in order to become a architect are:

A lot of imagination

Make a difference

Have the sensitivity and respect for your ideas and others

Always respect the environment

You don't need to be an artist but is important to have the hability to express your ideas by hand

Always use the ethics well that is in any career

Passion and compromise (I personally loved to sleep) but when I started studying architecture I had to sacrifice that, but, you know? 100% worth it because I loved what I was doing and I'm still in love with what I do and that is priceless

Every professional is different and maybe some others can give you some other advice... I hope you enjoy the career and feel as passionate about it as many of us who love to define our world with our pencil!

Janhavi’s Answer

Updated Ponca City, Oklahoma

To be an architect you first need to have a passion to make change into the world with your just a little contribution.

It is a passion full and very interesting career which allows you to use all of your cretive thoughts. Architect thinks about community’s welfare. A responsible architect can help city to grow in such a way to achieve healthier life style and happy communities.

According to my understading toward architecture field, I think architect needs to be a person with thoughtful and creative mind. However, those creative ideas should have a practical approach because a design without pratical approach can not be worked out.

Moreover, Architecture needs little bit of understanding towards structural things. So having little bit interest towards calculations and mathematics will definitely be helpful.

I hope this will be helpful. All the best..!!!

Janhavi’s Answer

Updated Ponca City, Oklahoma