4

What is a good minor to pair with an Accounting major?

The only minors that I can think of are business administration, economics, management, finance, etc. Are there any outside of the business world that would complement accounting? Like technology, data analyzing, law, etc.

4

2

Madelein’s Answer

Auditing or compliance would be a good option for a 3 year degree, if you feel like/can study longer, LLB (law) would be advisable. Law and accounting are country specific though with bridging required when immigrating. With the corruption indexes and challenges worldwide, these fields are likely to always be employed.
Thank you comment icon Thanks Madelein! As a matter of fact I was looking into becoming both a CPA and a lawyer! Genevieve
2
1

Orain’s Answer

Hello Genevieve,

I hope all is well and great question

One minor I was recommended by my professors in college and I recommend to others as well is a minor in Computer Science. Knowing what I know now in the audit realm, having an IT background and understanding goes a far way when performing audits since for the most part systems, tools and IT related activities are most times apart of the process being audit.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

O.M
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your kind answer Orain! :) Genevieve
1
1

Mark’s Answer

Hi Genevieve.

There are two things that I wish I would have known in college that could have helped me in my post-college accounting career. Having strong writing skills and being really proficient with technology. In accounting you deal with a lot of people across departments and across countries. Being able to clearly, accurately, and concisely communicate is very helpful. Additionally, a lot of company processes require detailed documentation for internal and external users. A minor in English could help here.

In addition having a strong grasp of technology is great. Being able to feel comfortable across different operating systems and within different programs would give you an initial leg up when you start your career. Possible something in computer science might be of interest to you.

Thank you comment icon Thank you Mark! I did not even consider English, but I'll definitely be looking into that! Genevieve
1
0

Alla’s Answer

You can go in various directions but right now having some sort of data science, data analytics or MIS is a good minor to go with accounting. You can also consider something like psychology - that was the route that I took as I was very interested in human behavior and how the mind works. Also, business communications is a good minor that can compliment accounting.
Thank you comment icon Thank you! :) Genevieve
0