4

Should I double major in both data science and data analytics? Or should I major in one and minor in another?

I feel that as a data analysis, I would have more career options. However, being a data scientist appeals to me. Should I major in data science, and minor in data analytics, or vice versa? Can a data scientist work as a data analyst?

4

1

Sri’s Answer

I would suggest Data science as technically you are deriving predictive analytics using data science. You will naturally learn the descriptive analytics as part of this journey. I suggest to check out University of South Florida, Business and Data analytics program. It's rated very well.
Thank you comment icon Thank you Sri! Genevieve
1
1

Julie’s Answer

I would recommend you look at a variety of colleges and their programs in which you can major. Because they are so closely related perhaps data analytics is a subset or could be a minor. The University of Michigan now has a big data program. I recommend checking it out
Thank you comment icon Thank you Julie! Genevieve
1
1

Andrew’s Answer

If those are the two youre really set on as potential majors I would suggest Data Science. A lot of what you could learn in Analytics stems from Data Science. The progression in a real world project tends to go: the data engineer sets up pipelines/etl tools for data movement, data scientists utilize this data from sources it was moved to (like a database or datalake) for data modeling purposes, and then data analysts utilize those models in their analyses. This is obviously a basic rundown but Data science is a nice sweet spot for a foundation
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, Andrew! Genevieve
1
1

Nishchal’s Answer

The line is very thin and sometimes blurry between these two roles. Some companies even use these titles interchangeably. But generally data science requires deeper understanding of maths and statistics whereas data analytics requires business systems knowledge and software engineering skills. One common base between these two is Data Engineering which builds the solid foundation which can support different types of analysis.

My general advice would be that if you enjoy statistics then go Data Science route and if you enjoy communicating what the data says then go Data Analytics route.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, Nishchal! That was extremely helpful! :) Genevieve
1