4

What state of mind should I prepare myself for college in?

Nervous but excited. Don't know yet what college has in store for me.

4

0

Orain’s Answer

Hello Leo,

I hope all is well.

Great question as going to college can be anxiety filled. From my experience, I was an international student athlete in college. My recommendations:

1. Be organize: Ensure you have track of all your classes and assignments due dates
2. Prioritize: Understand that school work is priority
3. Have responsible fun

With all that college is a great experience, have fun but also prioritize your school work first then after all is done have fun as there are always a lot of activities taking place on campus at any given day.

Additionally, there are a lot of resources for school work (including tutors, library, professors office hours, career services etc). Understand where those are your first month on campus will help you to easily get connected if the need come for assistance in school work.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

O.M
0
0

Lynn’s Answer

Hello there. Starting college can be scary to think about - especially if you are moving away from home. My experience with college was a bit different as I still lived at home and worked full time pretty much the whole time to ensure I could pay for college. The key is to be open to the new experience. Get involved with activities and groups that you are interested in. Meet new friends who will be there to support you with challenges you may face. Do not be afraid to try new things and just have a great time as you take this next step in your life. Lynn
0
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I am glad that you will be enter the college soon.
Let me share my experience here. The college days is one of my most enjoyable time in my life. In the college, on the academic side, it focuses to training on your critical thinking and analytical skills. There are plenty of course you can attend or sit in. This is a very good opportunities to widen your exposure on different knowledge domain.
On the other hand, there are plenty of extra curricular activities you can participate and you can join the organization committees to organize the events. You can make establish your people network from different majors. This is a very valuable experience to you and your asset in the future.
Also, you can try to stay in dorm. This is a good start for you to live independently.
Overall speaking, this will be a new page of your life. You should be exciting to expect your college life.
Hope this gives you some insights on the college life and enjoy! Good Luck!
0
0

Alice’s Answer

Hi Leo,

I was a resident advisor for freshmen when I was in college. I had seen many lost track of their priorities during the first year. Some were due to first time away from home, being homesick, spending too much time socializing, wanting to be belonged and etc. Having a social circle/support is important, yet we need to know our priorities and manage them accordingly.

It is very tough to pick up GPA (your confidence) if the first year is being mismanaged.

Hope this helps.
Alice
0