What's the best way to approach career paths that I might like?
I'm in high school and unsure of what career path I want to go down to. It seems like a very big commitment so I want to make sure that I make the right decision.
Keep in mind that most people think they will be doing one thing when in high school but as they move forward they adjust their aspirations and direction and often end up in areas they wouldn't have thought of at the start of their career.
Try to keep an open mind but my advice is the more experience you can get now, the better. Volunteer and try to volunteer in fields in which you are already interested. If you can't get an internship or job in the field of choice, any job will help develop some skills and show any future employer that you were proactive from the beginning.
Below is my suggestions:
1. Think about what you have interest in. Eg your hobbies, your favourite subjects, etc. If you are interest in writing, would you like to be an author, journalist, etc. If you are interest in Maths, would you like to become an accountant, banker, financial analyst, etc.
2. Find out more on these careers. Identify some careers you have interest on.
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, career counsellor in school, you r parents, etc
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Find out the entry criteria of relevant subjects in the college
Our interest may change throughout our life. Hence, we may change career as well.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Have you done a career personality test yet? You can find them online or even ask your school advisor if they have access to one. The test analyses your interests and create a detailed list of careers from it.
Baljit recommends the following next steps: