4

Healthcare jobs with work life balance?

What are some healthcare jobs with good personal and work life balance?

4

1

Rita’s Answer

I think many healthcare jobs can provide excellent balance between your personal and professional lives. It all depends on your approach to work and your efforts to plan how much you will work.

I am an optometrist and throughout my career I have worked two to five days a week depending on what stage of life I was in. One of the things that made optometry appealing was the ability to be flexible in how many days a week I work. I think this applies to other healthcare fields as well.

As a healthcare professional, you will likely find the job opportunity you want with the schedule that works for you as you progress throughout your career. You might be in clinical work, administration, research, or teaching. I would advise you to find the field you are most interested in, study hard, and approach the world of work with the goal of balance in all the things that matter to you.
1
0

Randy’s Answer

Hello!

I am a paramedic that works in Washington. I can say that due to my long hours that I work on the truck, it can be hard to find the perfect work life balance for you. It can be exhausting after a shift to try and stay awake or to go to bed immediately after. If you can get a rhythm down and find the things that give you the most happiness, you will be very successful. Depending on your schedule it can be very much a hassle to do the things you love or to do errands, but if you keep disciplined, everything works out in the end.

From what I can tell, most of the Nurses and EMS workers in the Emergency side of the hospital are all 12 hour shifts, which can be daunting at first, but you can definitely find a good schedule because the most schedules in the ER have a longer off period. But in EMS we usually work on 12-14 hour shifts on a rotating schedule. It's easy to have everything planned out that way.
0
0

Linda’s Answer

Occupational therapist or certified occupational therapy assistant. I worked in hospitals until my first child was born and moved to working in the school district where my children attended. Just about wrapping it up after 25 years.
0
0

Charlie’s Answer

Depending on the field within the medical area at first I have found myself and even those working for me at first found making the balance a task at first. Getting advice from coworkers I think is really the best advice to seek. They have all been in the same boat. The big thing is what works best for you. I know folks who work 12 hours shifts go home and do not go to sleep for 3-4 hours. This is their evenings. some go straight to bed. Some mix it up depending on the days off. Remember that some work three days one and 4 days the next. It really depends on the specifications for you job. Remember that in the Medical field's within hospitals are 24\7\365 type of careers.
0