4
Asked 342 views

What does a typical day look like for a Clinical Medical Assistant?

I am Currently in school to become a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant.

4

1

Joseph’s Answer

A medical terminology resource is so valuable. Words and spelling matters! For example, it is important to know the difference in words, such as uvula vs. vulva. Sounds simple but spelling and attention to detail are key to supporting the physicians and caring for the patient. This example does not mean the same things. Spelling can mean difference between a similar medication name mix-up which could place the patient in jeopardy and open up to potential litigation. Also, if you don't pay close attention to detail, this may create problems with billing or perhaps other areas of medical administration pertaining to the patient. Remember, you'll be documenting patient history, medication lists, procedures, and more. I worked in a clinic that saw 100+ patients daily. I've documented on paper medical records as well as on electronic medical records. It's all about the details. Good luck to you in your journey into the medical field!
1
1

Bether’s Answer

hello.
if you are medical assistant in a hospital, you will be doing a lot of vital signs, passing out food trays, helping people eat if they have trouble feeding themselves, helping people wash up, helping people use the bedpan and bedside commode, checking patient's blood sugar, doing 12 lead ekg's, and basically running and doing things the nurse asks you to, like running to the blood back to picking up blood or go to the pharmacy and pick up meds.
if you are thinking about becoming a nurse it's a great job because you will see up close what they do. most importantly you will learn how to interact with patients, families, nurse and doctors.
good luck!
bether
1
1

Keith’s Answer

Greetings! Without question healthcare these days needs medical assistants. They are vital in the healthcare delivery system. Often times the pay and hours are not the best but it is a great place to start your healthcare career and even grow in the position or move to other areas of healthcare. The valuable experience gained from one on one patient interaction will be a great asset. In an average day you could be greeting patients, taking vitals, assisting the physician and even giving injections or drawing blood. All very valuable skills. Congrats on your choice.
1
1

Renea’s Answer

I am a Medical Transcriptionist 28 years but I know what the Medical Assistants do at my workplace. They type in the patient's medical history and spell medical words to the best of their knowledge as well as take vital signs. A medical terminology class may be of benefit. They do this everyday as well as provide great client service to sometimes 30 patients a day. An added benefit to being a Medical Assistant at this time in your life you will learn how far the money goes and you may consider college/university later. Believe in yourself! I cannot just close without talking about what else I have learned. In your endeavors please pray the Lord to lead you and guide you and HE WILL. I surely wished I had many years ago.

Godspeed,

Sincerely,

Siobhan

1