Piper W.





What should I do to work in an embassy abroad?

I want to travel the world and help people for the rest of my life, thus I think that working in an American embassy in foreign countries would be perfect for me. I currently plan on majoring in International Relations and minoring in Spanish (I am already conversationally fluent). Is this a good plan? What should I be doing as a senior in high school to reach my goal (aside from applying to colleges and for scholarships, of course!)? #foreign-service #foreign-languages #embassy #travel #ambassador

2 answers

Great ambition and good plan! While you attend college, try to find ways to work in your field - either as an intern or a volunteer. This will give you an opportunity to put your skills to use as well as gaining exposure to different entities in the field. If you get an opportunity to study/live abroad as part of your curriculum, I would highly recommend taking it.
Last updated Mar 19 at 22:52

Comment on this

Hello, There are many places that desire the International Relations studies for example the United Nations. The embassies have a limited number of employees and it depends on each country how many employees are allowed to be in the embassies. Thus, making it highly competitive. I would suggest to learn more than one language. Now days, knowing only 2 languages is not enough. The embassy of the US in Switzerland requires most of them to speak at least 3 of these languages: French, German, Italian and English. Spanish would only be used in the Spanish speaking countries so you have to consider if you are willing to relocate. I recommend that you volunteer in non-profit organizations where you can use your language skills plus you can add this experience in your resume! Best of lucks!
Last updated Sep 27 '17 at 03:16

Comment on this

Ask a new question Answer this question Follow this question

More from CareerVillage.org

Schools Add a school

No schools added.

Groups Join a group

No groups joined.

Follow Us

Ask a Question

Close form
By posting, you are accepting the terms of service and privacy agreement.