What career(s) would be best for someone who is great at speaking in front of crowds?

I want to do something related to business, rather than acting or theater. I am currently captain of my school's improv troupe, but I much prefer hosting the games then playing them. I suppose I want a Public Relations degree so that I can present things to the public, but I am not sure if that is the best. Any help would be appreciated!

#speaking #public-speaking #public-relations #presentations #improvisation

5

Vandana’s Answer

Jordan, congratulations on being the captain of your school's improv troupe. Way to go!

A Public Relations degree will be a great start, and will go a long way if you happen to choose one or more of the following career options:
Spokesperson (You'll get plenty of time in front of cameras and crowds as a spokesperson or press secretary)
Professor
Performance Coach
Social Entrepreneur
CEO / COO
Project / Program Manager
Speech Writer
News Anchor
Politician
Religious Leader
Motivational Speaker
Lawyer
Entrepreneur.. Steve Jobs:)

Wish you the very best for all your endeavors!

1

Alice M.’s Answer

Any leadership position would be a great choice, as you'll be required to do this often. Journalism, teaching, Business Management as well as Real Estate are just some options since you'll have to be a public figure often. You can also think about your passions and what you love to do and be an entrepreneur/self-starter in these areas...Hope this helps

Best to you! Now go out there and get it! =)

Don't let fear or naysayers stop you--if you truly want it you'll never stop

1

Barb’s Answer

Well done you! It's great that you found something to be passionate about. In addition to the other responses, I'd add that being an excellent communicator (including writing) will make you successful no matter what field you pursue. I know successful public speakers who are pilots, lawyers, and doctors by trade, but their fields allow them to be subject matter experts. Take a look at the link below. It gives you a good idea of what kinds of outcomes result from public speaking. Look for something that you love, something that you are good at, and that will help you achieve the goals (outcomes) you set for yourself.

The world is your oyster, Jordan. Go crack it open!

https://www.ethos3.com/2014/08/10-reasons-to-start-a-speaking-career/

1

Brian’s Answer

Jordan,

Being good at improv literally opens up just about any other pathway in your life that you want. The single hardest thing for most young people in interviews is presenting themselves well. You already have the comfort level in front of unfamiliar people and the ability to ease tensions with a joke. As the emcee, you know how to read the room, which a vastly underrated skill. Don't limit yourself to a career like PR or Communications simply because you think that is where you belong. The other answerers are right, you can go in any direction that suits. If you decide to be part of an established business, you will do well in any customer facing role. I regularly used my improv skills as a software and services consultant. I've also done speaking and hosting gigs and enjoyed them very much. I spend some of my time volunteering teaching what I know now and still have a blast. You have a strength. Find your passion and leverage that strength. Like science? Become the subject matter expert and spokesperson for a particular field. Is there a product that gets you going? Go into sales for it? Almost every career needs someone who can articulate the details in layman's terms and read the reactions of the people being communicated to.

0