What is the best major or minor to pair with an International Relations major?

Looking for something to double major with my IR degree. And not a language, I'm already minoring in French.
internationalrelations doublemajor college-major degree liberal-arts

2
Pros
2
0

Annie’s Answer

Hi Andrea, an IR major and French minor sound like a very strong combination. My question to you: what are you looking to get out of a second major? Do you want to delve deeper into an area that can directly relate to your IR/French studies? Or do you want to branch out into a completely different area? For studies complementing IR, political science, history, and economics seem like natural choices. But psychology, anthropology, or linguistics, while less explicitly related, may actually give you a unique perspective on IR.

I might actually encourage you to forgo a second major and instead take a broader variety of classes so that you can explore more areas. You never know what class could spark a new interest or help you see IR in a new light. That's the beauty of the liberal arts: there are endless connections you can make across a broad array of subjects.

Source: I majored in English Lit and Classics, but took classes in 10-12 other departments.
1
Pros
1
0

Ashley’s Answer

Hi Andrea,

It depends on your goals and interests. In my field, business is a great pairing in with international relations. For those interested in government work, public administration is another good option.

What are some careers you are considering pursuing?
0