3
Updated 142 views

What are some challenges when working as a medical-tech?

I'm interested in becoming a med-tech, though I want to also know some of the challenges I might face in my possible career and how to deal with them.

3

0

Scott’s Answer

While I haven't worked as a medical technician myself, I've done some research on the topic and can tell you that there are definitely some challenges that come with the job.

One of the biggest challenges that medical technicians face is managing a high workload and pressure. However, by staying organized, communicating effectively with your team, and taking breaks when needed, you can keep stress levels under control and deliver accurate results.

Another challenge can be dealing with difficult patients. Some patients may be uncooperative or fearful during medical procedures, which can make it challenging to get accurate results. However, by remaining calm, patient, and compassionate, and using distraction techniques or involving other team members to help manage the situation, you can help put the patient at ease and deliver quality care.

Adapting to new technology and techniques can also be a challenge, as medical technology is constantly evolving. However, staying curious, seeking out training opportunities, and collaborating with colleagues can help you stay on top of new developments and be successful in your work.

Finally, working long or irregular hours can be a challenge, but prioritizing self-care and finding ways to maintain a work-life balance can help you manage this effectively.

Overall, while there are challenges that come with being a medical technician, I believe that with the right mindset and approach, you can overcome them and excel in your work. Good luck with your research and exploration of this exciting career path!
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the help Scott! Your detailed answers are super helpful! Lucion
0
0

Aisha’s Answer

Navigating Through Limited Resources - As medical technologists, sometimes we might face situations where resources seem scarce, like working with vintage equipment or having a limited supply stock. But hey, that's where our resourcefulness shines! We get to put our problem-solving hats on and make the best out of every challenging circumstance we come across. Let's keep innovating and offering top-notch healthcare together!
0
0

Jennifer’s Answer

I have worked in the field for almost 20 years in 6 different states (due to my husband's profession). I have worked in small clinics, large hospitals and even for the federal gov't. My comments are generalities that I have assessed from my personal experience. I'm not trying to be mean just trying to explain.

HR has no idea what we do or what it takes to do our job. I was once sent a resume from a tech for a position. The person was a certified diagnostic tech. HR didn't understand why I wasn't interested in interviewing the individual.

Upper management either don't know or forget that you can't train everyone the same way and in the same time period. Our career scope is wide, someone working in Heme can't learn Micro in 2 weeks, just as a Micro tech would have a hard time preforming generalist duties efficiently in just a few weeks.

The other issue I have had is with the instrumentation. It's so expensive and sometimes the hospitals just don't put in the money they need to for the latest equipment to make our jobs easier/more efficient. Doctors expect results quickly, but don't realize the work effort from our side without that new equipment. I wish more doctors would come in the lab and see the conditions and what we have to work with; I wish they would fight more for us. The plus is I am very knowledgeable on many instruments and software. The negative is my current employer won't spend money for newer stuff so I may be looking for yet another job soon, got to keep up with technology.

The biggest challenge I have found has to do with people I work with. This career field is has critical personnel shortages, I think that this is common throughout the healthcare industry. The concept of do more with less is an everyday issue. Techs that have been in the same job for 10 + years and/or working in the career field for over 30 years are very knowledgeable, but some do not want to share/don't know how to share their knowledge and do not want to change how they do things in the lab because 'we have always done it that way'. Also, many are used to a different setting (quiet, focused) and working your full 8–10-hour shift and going home. They take vacations and days off after looking at the calendar determining what has the least impact due to staffing, they have worked many Thanksgivings and Christmas' because that was expected (hospitals don't close their doors). But they are less open to learn something new that will help increase efficiency because it puts them outside their comfort zone. Computer software still gives them issues, working while listening to music, DMing with coworkers and general conversations going on around them while they work makes them crazy. On the other end of the spectrum are the newer techs - they are able to multitask, they are efficient and are constantly trying to figure out a faster/better way to do the same work. On the plus side they get a normal 8 hours' worth of work done in 5-6. They get their assigned work done and want to go home. Great for them, not for the team because they also aren't willing (sometimes rightfully so) to take on extra work (cleaning, organizing, helping in a short staffed area). They are quick to remind management of their specific duties and responsibilities, expect their vacation (seniority means nothing), take days off without consideration to others /work and are not mission focused -they just don't seem to be a team player. I try to embrace the old with the new I see the advantages and disadvantages each 'type of tech' brings to the team. I have learned to value both on my teams, it's frustrating at times but I truly love what I do so I still show up and get the work done. Who doesn't want to learn how to be more efficient. Management struggles to maintain harmony and sometimes they have their work cut out for them.
0