How much does the undergrad college you go to affect what medical school you get into?

Updated Richmond, California

I am a senior in high school and am getting ready to apply to undergrad. I want to be a surgeon and know that I will have to apply to medical school once I am done with undergrad. I want to go to a smaller college/less known college because they are less expensive but I do not know if they will look good enough to get into medical school. Should I worry about the prestige of my college? #surgeon #medical school #premed #college #undergraduate #medical-school

Herman’s Answer

Updated California, California
Hi Osiris, I don't know the answer, but I have seen friends who went to lower tier undergraduate institutions get into medical schools, as well as people who went to higher tier schools. In your area, I am referring to UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and San Francisco State University. I know someone at each school, all 3 different tiers, who went to medical school. Ultimately, I think what is more important are your grades, your internships and activities, MCAT score, and your essays/application. Hope this helps. Best, Herman