Is the job of a Special Education Teacher thankless and tiring?

Asked Wilmington, Vermont

I'm asking this question because I realize that this career can be difficult sometimes, and I want to make sure that I will be able to handle the pressure put on me every day. #teaching #special-education

Sonja’s Answer

Updated Carmel, New York

I've just finished a masters in special education for grades 1-6 and had the opportunity to teach special education classes and it was a great uplifting experience.

It is true that this is a very involved and dedicated career path. But if you really feel passionate about teaching these very special kids, go for it because it is a truly rewarding experience.

You will be helping kids with many hardships and disabilities not only to learn basic academic concepts but also life skills with lots of love and dedication. You will be improving their lives for the better and remember you will have a team with you consisting of teacher assistants, paraprofessionals, counselors, speech therapists, occupational therapists so that the child with special needs gets all the support that he/she needs. Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you very much! Very helpful.

Herman’s Answer

Updated California, California

Hi Kelly,

I do not have any experience teaching special education courses, but my brother is special. I grew up going to school alongside with my brother and I can definitely tell you that if you become a special education teacher, you are greatly appreciated. My family and I always thank the people who have helped us. The career will be a challenge, but challenges are often exciting; as opposed to a repetitive job. I would also imagine there to be very high personal high reward in this career.

Hope this helps, Herman

This story made me smile, thank you for taking the time to respond!