Marisela S.’s Avatar

Marisela S.

31

1

How many years of college does it take to be a nurse?

Trying to decide on a career.
#nursing #hospital-and-health-care #healthcare #nurse

If you attend a community college, and graduate with an ASN or associates degree in nursing, it will take you 2 years to finish. If you attend a university that offers a BSN or bachelor's degree in nursing, it will take you 4 years. These are approximate times, and I say that because some colleges, like the one I attended in Humboldt, California, had a 5 semester BSN program, so some of us ran over the 4 years. You can look at the colleges near you to see who offers the ASN and the BSN program. The advantage to an ASN is that it's cheaper, because it's a community college, so tuition is lower. You will be a graduate faster, and begin your career more rapidly. As a former nurse recruiter, I can tell you this with certainty: there are some employers who are not interested in hiring ASNs, so you may find fewer employer choices with that degree. However, you can also just grab a job as an ASN and finish your BSN online while you work.
Last updated Nov 16 '17 at 11:39 PM

The time it takes varies depending on the route you choose and how much you want to spend. I went to a community college. It took me 2 full time years to do my prerequisites, and 2 years to complete the nursing program. It took another 2 years to get my BSN ( I recommend getting a BSN regardless of which path you take). I chose to do it this way as I could work as a nurse while at university, get experience and pay for tuition. Some of my friends went right into a university and completed their training in 4-5 years graduating with a BSN. Whatever path you choose, best of luck! It’s the best career!

Last updated Mar 11 at 03:53 PM