What major do I need to study to be a writer

I am a high school junior and for awhile now I've been wondering about what career path I should take. I believe that a job is something you do for money and a career is something you do because your passionate about it. I love to write! I find myself writing everywhere in my spare time and even in class(where I'm supposed to be paying attention, lol) I want to be a writer but I don't know where to start or what resources I should be looking for. #educator #journalism #writer #famous #novel-writer

7

Lindsey’s Answer

Best of the Village
Hi Sofia,

To become a writer you should major in journalism. Most colleges should offer this major. Although, what you major in specifically depends entirely on what kind of writer you want to be/what kind of writing you want to do. For example, at the University of Oregon I majored in journalism and then had to choose a specialty (e.g. advertising, PR, broadcast, newspaper/editorial, etc.). When in college, take your journalism prerequisite classes seriously. This is when you'll really get a feel for what area of journalism you want to end up in.

I suggest starting a blog now or in college. One thing I wish I would have done is started writing/publishing my writing much earlier. Writers are intellectually creative people and need to constantly have an outlet to get their thoughts/ideas out and down in writing. Starting your own blog would give you a place to do that. If you feel comfortable making it public (anyone can see your writing) then do that, but you can always make it private starting out. Do as much now as you can to prepare for a career in writing - join your high school's newspaper and yearbook clubs, and in college do the same. I hope this helps! Best of luck to you.

Thank you for answering my question, what if the type of writing i want to do is to publish novels and kids books.? Sophia D.

A lot of universities will have creative writing majors so I would look into that. Regardless, definitely take some creative writing classes. You can also major in english literature! If you want to be a novel writer the best thing you can do (regardless of what you major in in school) is WRITE! Write as much as you can as often as you can (as it sounds like you already do) and have people read your work and give you feedback. You should also be reading.. a lot. Lindsey Manning-Djabbari BACKER

2

Elizabeth’s Answer

Hi Sofia, my mentor in college once told me that to be a great writer, you must also be a great reader. I got my degree in English literature, but I minored in Writing and Editing. My school didn't offer much in the way of creative writing, so I filled out a form in my department to do "Independent Studies" for a couple of semesters, paired up with a professor, and wrote a novel (for full credits)! No matter what you end up majoring in, the most important thing is to continue writing. And if you find your major to be missing a class or a specialty like I did, with a little persistence, I bet you can tweak it to your liking.

2

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Sophia,

First of all, you are already a writer. Writing every day is a valuable exercise for your skill, just like physical activity is good for your body. Writing can be anything from stories to maintaining a journal of what is going on your life.

Do you want to do something specifically with your writing? That focus will be an important part of your college life as a writer. I know people who write very well and do jobs like Marketing or, like mine, create training courses.

There are a variety of degrees that would benefit a writer. I would say that the top ones are English, Creative Writing, or Journalism. Journalism programs can be quite competitive so you should consider how competitive you are. I am a person who does not work competing against others. I can only compete with myself. That requires a lot of self awareness.

Good luck your search for a college degree.
Gloria

0

Frank’s Answer

Hello Miss. Sophia D., from La Mirada, in California. Thanks for your question "What major do I need to study to be a writer?" How are you going Miss. Sophia D., today with your dream to be a writer? My name is Mr. Frank O., my goal at age 15 was to be an engineer like my father. At age 19 my goal was to become a Cake Decorator or a Food Technologist or a Microbiologist or a Bakery Manager or a Bakery Teacher. The most appealing job was the Teaching Job, however to become a trade teacher I needed 8 years experience and trade certification and a copy of my four (4) year apprenticeship indenture documents and copies of references from my employer and trade teachers. During the next four (4) years I completed a part-time teachers training course which had a practicum to complete teaching apprentices at a Technical College in another city far away from the town where I had origanally lived. I also worked as a Quality Control Chemist and Test Baker at a huge flour mill producing 10 tonnes of flour per hour. I went to night school at the local technical college and learnt how to decorate wedding cakes and how to manufacture decorative chocolate moulds such as Easter Eggs and Father Xmas etc etc. I also went to London to study at the National Bakery School for 12 months. Eventually when I got to Teachers College I studied Art and Drama, Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking as well as Communication Skills and Philosophy. Teaching is an art and a science where teachers learn to become Educators and Facilitators. Our job is to help our students succeed so they can move forward with enthusiasm and passion to improve themselves in all walks of life. Dear Miss. Sophia D., Please check out the following HASHTAGS #educator #writer #journalism #novel-writer. Also Enter to win a scholarship or a 1:1 mock interview by posting a question using the HASHTAG #givingiscaring. Details here!
(see bottom of your computer screen at: https://www.careervillage.org) Good Luck. Best regards. TESOL Teacher Mr. Frank O.

0