Where can I learn about different career paths in order to learn the one that's right for me?
As a Sophomore, I have been really interested in many career paths since I was a freshmen, yet I am having a difficult time picking one that I can put my heart out for. Are there sources out there that can help me analyze these jobs in order to narrow down my choices?
Start by exploring these areas of interest. You can do this by reading books, watching documentaries or TED Talks, enrolling in classes, or conversing with professionals in the field.
As you delve deeper into your interests, you'll start to get a sense of the potential careers related to them. For instance, if you find yourself drawn to the healthcare sector, consider the wide range of roles within this field, such as nursing, medicine, or emergency medical services. If technology or coding piques your interest, you might want to explore careers in hardware or software engineering.
Remember, it's crucial not to restrict yourself to a single career choice too early. Concentrate on the broader subject that fascinates you first.
Once you've identified what energizes you, use professional networking platforms like LinkedIn to explore the diverse range of jobs and careers available. There's a wealth of information, articles, resources, and professionals across all industries on these platforms. Many of these professionals are open to sharing their career journeys, and you'll find that their paths weren't always straightforward. They've made numerous decisions to reach their current positions, which might not have been their initial goal.
Below are my suggestions :
1. Think about what you have interest, e.g. your hobbies, favourite subjects, etc. and identify the related careers
E.g. If you like music, would you like to be musician, singer, music composer, music producer, musical artist, etc.
If you have interest in maths, would you like to be an accountant, engineer, banker, financial analyst, maths teacher, etc.
2. Find out more on these careers and determine what you have interest
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, school career counsellor, your parents, etc.
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of relevant subjects in the college
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
1. What do you do?
2. What does your typical day look like?
3. What tools/ techniques do you use in your everyday work?
4. Can you tell me a little bit about your career trajectory so far?
5. Which skills would you say are most relevant to your job?
6. What do you like and not like about your job?
7. What are you interested in doing in the future?
I would advise you to first explore options through humans, people you know, admire or trust and then see if something sparks your interest before you research it further on the internet. There truly is no substitute to time spent 1:1 and the internet isn't going anywhere. Hope that helps :) Good luck.