How to improve my English?

I am a international student. I am not good at oral speaking. Could someone give me some advices about how to improve my English? english language

4
Pros
4
0

Ghaneem’s Answer

To improve your English, especially your speaking skill, you should put yourself in situations where you need to speak English. One of the best practices is befriending someone who speaks English well, especially native speakers, and talking with them a lot about many topics. This is the method most learners do.

Ghaneem recommends the following next steps:

I advise you to find someone you can talk to and benefit from. Just think about who might be the most appropriate person.
Ghaneem - Thank you for your answer. We need more advice like this, now more than ever! There are more than 1k unanswered questions on CV right now. Hoping you'll answer a few more this week! Jordan Rivera, Admin COACH
1
Pros
1
0

Yuka’s Answer

Hi Jiayun, great question! I am also a non-native speaker myself, but through years of practice, I have now reached a near-native fluency and can communicate with native English native speakers with ease. Personally, I think that immersion in the language is SUPER important. The best way to improve your speaking skill is to practice through conversations. You can do this by studying abroad, having conversations with your friends from English-speaking countries, or simply watch several tv shows. The important idea is to expand your knowledge on how English speakers would express themselves in certain situations. For example, there are many ways to say "I think", such as "in my humble opinion", "if you ask me", and "from my perspective", etc. Knowing how one idea can be expressed in multiple ways would be very helpful in learning English speaking.
0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Jiayun! I agree with previous answers, in addition to that you can also check out Duolingo.com. This is a free website where you can practice English because it has a lot of resources. There are stories and pronunciations and daily practice goals and I believe this will really help in developing your oral speaking. Also make sure to practice, maybe read a book out loud and if you are old enough to find a job that could be helpful too; especially a part time job where you interact with others like being a server for example. Keep at it and you will get better, remember to also have faith in yourself!

Yasemin recommends the following next steps:

Check out Duolingo.com
0

Lisa’s Answer

hi Ghaneem, nice to meet you. One idea is to watch TV/movies in English and also turn on the subtitles tool for your native language. I'm a spanish major and it helps me to see the words, visually. Then my hearing adapts to what I'm reading. HOpe this makes sense! Best to you, Lisa
0