Get started as soon as you can. Your goal should be to build enough experience to:
- start to learn what you like and don't like in your field
- get a sense of what corporate and/or agency culture is like
- be able to demonstrate that your have practical work experience vs. only academic
- be as competitive as possible when applying for positions
There are good responses to your question and one that is key in my mind is, networking. Make sure you have your digital persona really strong. This includes LinkedIn at a minimum and if you use other social platforms, think about what you use them for and if they would be a benefit or detriment. HR and hiring managers will search for you socially as part of their due diligence.
If you get an internship, make sure you connect with as many people in the organization and start a digital relationship. Those folks can be very helpful in networking and referrals. Remember to be humble and greatly appreciative when networking.
Good luck in PR and your journey.
This professional recommends the following next steps:
- Get your digital persona relevant, impactful and memorable.