Is it a good idea to change college for junior and senior year?

3

I have an opportunity to work in my field if I am willing to transfer to another school 5 hours away from where I am now.

#political-science #college #college-transfer #transfer

Hey, Jordan! This decision is entirely up to you. Transferring Universities in general is tough and usually requires a lot more work than is occasionally worth it. However, if this opportunity at this other school is something that you truly desire to do and will help you, this could be worth it. I would make sure that there is established communication between your current university and the other to ensure that most, if not all your credits can be transferred over without too much trouble. Once that is established, decide how you feel. Would you be okay leaving your current university and everything in it after being there for a bit? Is there anything else, aide from field experience, that would make changing worth it to you? Ashley H. Translate
3

Austin’s Answer

0

Jordan,

Transferring is becoming more and more common these days and it is less difficult to do so now. Transferring for a more favorable job environment is a good reason, but you should be sure that this won't affect when you graduate. Some of your credits and course may not transfer over and you may not be able to graduate in 4 years if this is the case. If you are fine graduating a semester/year late then transferring makes sense. If all credits are accepted by the new school then transferring also makes sense.

When thinking about transferring you should really reflect on what is lost at your old school by leaving and what is gained at your new school. If what you gain by moving is greater than what you lose at your old school then it could be wise to transfer. Something is always lost in choosing one thing over another and you need to reflect on what you are losing/gaining. Friends, professors, financials, and how much you like your current university are all things you should consider before deciding whether or not you will actually transfer. You say that you will be able to work in your field if you move, but do you mean that this will be a full time job for after college or is this an internship? Does the school that you are thinking about moving to have better resources to find you a job in your field of study? These questions are also things you should be asking yourself.

My brother spent his first year at a school in Boston but transferred to a school in Colorado for the remaining three years. He said that it was not easy at first, but that in time he became accustomed to Colorado and transferring was the right decision to make.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!!

Best,

Austin

0