What are other job options I can consider from knowing another language?

Updated Dix Hills, New York

I have been learning Korean for a few years, and I am planning to continue my studies in college to get to the level of fluency. Are there any jobs other than teaching English in Korea that I can consider? #foreign-languages #language #foreign-language #korean

James E.’s Answer

Would strongly consider embassy assignments. Perhaps, if open to relocation being an interpreter at United Nations. Assignments with USAID. These should stimulate some thoughts and further inquiries.

Kerry’s Answer

Updated Rolling Meadows, Illinois

In addition to furthering your studies in Korean, consider a degree or certification in another field that interests you ... business, computer programming, electronics, etc. You'll find having skills in a second language can be instrumental in expanding your career options, and in many cases will make the difference in being selected for opportunities over similarly qualified candidates without foreign language skills.

Kerry recommends the following next steps:

• Identify another field of study you find interesting that you get into while continuining your studies in Korean.
  • Research opportunities at major corporations headquartered in Korea (Samsung Electronics, Kia, Huandai to name a few ) as well as US-based companies who do business in Korea.