Should I minor in Spanish or Wildlife when I plan on becoming a wildlife veterinarian (hopefully at a zoo)?

9

I will be entering college this fall, majoring in Animal Sciences. This major covers animals extensively, but should I choose a minor in wildlife to gain even more understanding? However, I have also heard that it is extremely beneficial to know more than one language, so should I minor in Spanish? Which would most likely end up being more beneficial in the end?
#medicine #veterinary #veterinary-medicine #veterinarian #pre-veterinary-medicine

9

Courtney’s Answer

1

Keep in mind that wildlife covers more than just animals. Wildlife is plants, animals, ecosystem, etc. Which in Texas is a Major/Minor we'd follow to be a Game Warden. At my zoo, we consider our animals to be exotics (bears, various wild cats, wolves, primates, kinkajous, warthogs, water buffalo, bearcats, sloths, etc). Most of our zookeepers majored in Animal Science and minored in Wildlife and Fisheries or Biology. Logically speaking, I'm not sure what benefit there is to being to be able to speak Spanish when most ofy our time as a zoo vet will be spent with the animals. If you wanted to be a domestic animal veterinarian in an area that speaks mostly Spanish, then you should consider taking a couple of Spanish classes as an elective so that you can speak to your customers, but I wouldn't recommended minoring in Spanish. It would benefit you more to keep your focus on animal related Majors/Minors for your Bachelor's Degree, like Animal Science; Wildlife & Fisheries; Zoology; Biology; Psychology (for working with primates). Don't forget.... after your Bachelor's you'll have another 4 years getting your DVM.

Wildlife if you want to be a vet. Kamen Marshall
thanks for the comment on her post! Stephanee P.
1

Miguel’s Answer

0
If you're planing to become a veterinarian, you'll have plenty of time in becoming acquainted with animals, even in your time off.
Getting to learn a new language is ALWAYS a plus, especially the Spanish language.
0

Kamen’s Answer

0

Wildlife if you want to be a vet.

0