Are there possibilities I can get into college due to these reasons:

Updated Canton, Michigan

I moved to the USA in November 2014 and I did not leave this town since then. I am a sophomore in high school and I would like to get my education done in the USA. We do NOT have a green card but we applied for it. I am on an H4 dependent visa and my dad is the only one working. He is in the same company since we moved here. Are there any chances that I will be accepted into college or do I have to start applying for some documents before its too late? I also want to do a dual enrollment at a university in my senior year.

#immigration-law #college #college-admissions #citizenship #immigration #visas

Emily’s Answer

Colleges do not have the right to discriminate incoming students based on their immigration/legal status. They will accept you to their colleges and refer to you as international student. What this means is that you can definitely get into good colleges. Once you get into college, you should talk to admission counsellor about changing your immigration status in F-1 status so you can use your OPT time. Good luck!

Sneha’s Answer

Updated Edison, New Jersey

Hi Annie.. You can apply for college irrespective of ur visa status. You can apply as an international student and can get admission according to the rules. Once you get into college consult your counsellor about changing your visa status to F1.

Sneha recommends the following next steps:

• Make a list of schools and community colleges you would like to apply

Danya’s Answer

Hi Annie! Sophomore year is a great time to start college planning, so you are right on time! You can certainly apply at a community college (which is a great opportunity for international students, especially since it is less expensive and easier to get into a higher ranked university). I have found that this route is best for international students who do not yet have a green card or citizenship but have been living in the U.S. As for University admission, you can definitely get accepted with your current visa, but it would be as an international student (which is significantly more expensive). If you have any further questions, feel free to message me again!

Danya recommends the following next steps:

• Make a list of schools and community colleges you would like to apply to
  • Research their policies for international students
  • Make a plan with a counselor, mentor, parent or friend for applications