Transition from college to life?

Now that I've been accepted into college, I've started thinking a lot more about what's going to happen after I graduate college in four years. How do college seniors transition from dorm/campus life to moving off campus and starting a job? life-transitions college

3

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Kristina H. I see that you posted this question a little while ago so I hope my answer to you (or others who may read this response) is still helpful.

I think that many college graduates will have an easier time in that college to life transition than you might imagine. Why? A few things..1)A change of scenery and a new chapter. When you have graduated AND have a new job, it is a new path in your life. A new job likely means living somewhere new, meeting new people and possibly even traveling for your new line of work. 2) A salary and benefits :) One of my favorites. Most college students don't have a regular paycheck coming in and if they do, it likely isn't the same as the paycheck they will get from a new job after graduation. So having that new resource, income can be a big plus in this transition from college to life. 3) Moving deeper into adult hood to chart your own course. College graduates have the power of their education to fuel their preferences on what they want to do and how to reach their professional and personal goals. This can be an incredibly positive and empowering experience.

Hope you find this answer helpful. Best of luck to you.
0

Once you know what you want to do after college, start applying for internships in that field. This will acclimnate you to career-life. During you senior year of college start applyin for entry level positions in your field and anything to do with your major. You may also opt to do a service program like, TFA, AmeriCorps, or the PeaceCorps.

0

Hi Kristina,

It's great you are already thinking ahead. Once you begin your final year of college you will more than likely have some semblance of what you will be doing when you graduate. In your final semester it's a good idea to attend career fairs, apply to internships/jobs and set a pathway for yourself. Once you have secured something post graduation, you will know what geological area you will be in, what sort of salary/wage you will have and what your new 9-5 schedule will be. This will help you to assess what you can afford and assist with a transition plan into adulthood.

Thanks!

Mike

0