What is an advantage to living on-campus rather than at home?

Deciding whether to spend extra money to live on campus or not. #college-decisions #college #housing #student-housing #finance #dorm

4

Katie’s Answer

Hi Miranda!

Good question! I would definitely recommend living on-campus rather than at home. I lived on campus all four years of college and I think this really enhanced my college experience and what made me love it so much.

First of all, it is a huge benefit socially, by living in the dorms you are surrounded by people and can easily make friends. People will recognize you from the dorms around campus and this will help build connections and you are directly involved in the community. Some of my favorite memories at college were those random nights you just sat up late talking with your roommate for hours and some of my best friends ended up being the girls who lived right next door to me freshman year.

Also, it is great academically, when you are working late on an assignment and stuck on something, chances are someone from your class will live in the same dorm that you will be able to ask for help. I was an accounting major and a few other girls from my class lived on my floor, we developed a weekly study group and it helped me understand the class so much more than I would have on my own.

Hope this helps!

0

Wally’s Answer

I agree with what the others are saying, a great investment to stay on campus!  I feel if you stay at home and drive in every day, you won't know what you are missing.  The social aspect is huge.  I joined a fraternity and as a 43 year old, I still see what it did for me.  Same for what I have observed in the sorority world. 

Remember, college isn't just about what you learn.  It is also who you know and how that will help you moving forward.  Those are people that will move on and might help you get jobs, referrals, and may even be co-workers.

0

Abhilasha’s Answer

Hi Miranda, great question. Living on campus is a great investment, even if it costs a bit more than off-campus accommodation. By living on campus, you will get great opportunities to grow your network with your classmates, seniors and professors. You will also never be late for classes! :) You will find it easier to make friends, and get help with your courses, including study groups. And if you're a local student, you can always go home on the weekends to get a home cooked meal, and do your laundry!! :)

0

Jorge’s Answer

Hello Miranda,

College is an amazing life experience per se and living on-campus is one of many aspects about this experience. In other words you might be the only one who has to answer this. If you feel you're financially limited you might consider not doing so, but on the other side if you're not financially troubled this might be a great experience that can help you gain perspective and experience in the process of becoming an independent and responsible adult.

0