1

Should I pursue my passion or what makes the most money?

For years I've been working with kids in elementary, middle, and high school. I have a knack for teaching as I tend to have a very strong conceptual grasp on many subjects, especially math. My parents even said I should become a professor when I grow up. My mom works at a university and she has introduced me to a few of them for internships. However, as much as I like teaching and have a lot of legitimate experience with it, I don't know if I want a career in it. It makes me happy, but it's not a very well respected or high paying profession. I, like many others, have always had the dream of never having to worry about money and having nice cars and houses and such, I'm a junior now and soon I'm going to have to make a decision and I want it to be the right one.
#teaching #university-teaching #school #college

Thank you comment icon Jonathan, Even if you get a job that pays well, if you don't like it you won't do well in it, and you won't even get money out of it. You're going to spend the rest of your life pursuing a certain career. You're going to spend average 8 hours a day for that career. Do what you think you'd rather spend that time doing. That said, you don't have to find your passion before you go into college. There are many people who take a year in college to explore various fields and find out what's out there for them, and that's fine. I recommend that, actually. College is about finding yourself and finding your place. Don't feel like you have to have everything figured out. Jessica

1

0

Torey’s Answer

Good morning Jonathan, do what makes you happy. Money is important but happiness is the key to success.
0
0

Stephanie’s Answer

Jonathan, if you are passionate about teaching, WE NEED YOU!! With any profession, money can go up and down. Teachers will always be needed so you'll always be able to have a job. And, with a teaching license/certificate you can live anywhere to teach. Sounds pretty cool? I've taught in several states which has made my career very interesting. I now train teachers and work as an adjunct professor. I say take advantage of an internship ..... grab every opportunity. And, you mention math .... we really need good math teachers.

Good luck as you continue your search,

Stephanie
0
0

Kristin’s Answer

Hi Jonathan,

This is something I struggled with when choosing my major in college. I actually started college as an undecided major, and spent my first 1.5 years fulfilling requirements. I was actually considering teaching as well, but I was concerned about the salary and being able to make a living. I ended up majoring in communications (concentrating in public relations & event planning), and ended up working in IT after 6 years, and now I'm in Learning & Development at Verizon. My career goal is to become a trainer (another form of teaching so to speak). My point in telling you this story is a couple of things...

1) You never know where you'll end up after your degree. Your career could end up taking you on a path you never knew you'd enjoy.

2) Teaching isn't always just in schools, as there are many companies that hire in-house trainers, as well as companies that provide training. So that could be another option to go into.

There are many other career directions you can take if you enjoy math, if you are concerned about the level of respect you get for teaching. Also, keep in mind, you may think the level of respect isn't high, but it really can be. Students may not see the greatness of a teacher, but looking back on my teachers, as an adult I really respect everything teachers do. The amount of time they put in, the amount of knowledge they have, and everything that they have to deal with these days...it's a lot.

The other thing you might want to consider (my last point, I swear! :-)), is that you could always teach at a college level even after you've been in the workforce. I'm currently going back for my masters in business administration, and all the professors I've had either are teaching in addition to their full time job, or retired early and are enjoying spreading their knowledge. So even if you think you want to stray from teaching and do something else, you can always end up teaching at a local school down the line. :-)

Hope this helps! :-)

Kristin

Thank you comment icon Your answer is great Kristin, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Lindsey Manning-Djabbari BACKER
0
0

Feranmi’s Answer

hello Jonathan, i like the fact that you identified what gives you joy
there's the law of attraction..do what you enjoy doing, impact lives and the good things of life would come find you..its a well
proven law. In this case you get to eat your cake and also have it, you have your passion, get your money and have all the fulfillment. those who get lost in the search for money and all often times don't end up having it or even when they do they become empty, I need you to go for what you want with all that you have, a positive mindset that sees the clear future believing you'll never be poor and you'll never end up a mediocre . I only need you to be sure with the conviction in your heart that what you think is what gives you joy and a sense of purpose and not just happiness.
0