As a future Reading Specialist, in which particular reading intervention should I be trained?

Asked Brookfield, Wisconsin

I am asking this question because there are several reading programs out there for struggling readers. School districts pay a lot of money to get reading teachers trained in reading interventions and I want to be trained in the most effective reading program for my students.

#reading #literacy

Darla’s Answer

Anna, Unfortunately, there are as many approaches to reading as there are students, e.g., Orton-Gillingham, Reading Recovery, Wilson, American Reading, IRLA, etc., to teach reading as there are students, and EVERY school district has a different approach. The school district usually dictates which approach you will use with your students, and programs change depending on the flavor of the day, i.e, which program is currently in vogue and being pushed by publishers. Being trained in a specific program is not a guarantee of being best able to help your students. Also, where you get your graduate degree will also determine how you are trained--my program at Providence College used the Reading Recovery model.

As a literacy/reading specialist you need to be knowledgeable about how to determine the students' reading strengths and weaknesses regardless of the program the school uses. You need know how to build upon the strengths and work to improve the weaknesses. Learning and using various reading/writing strategies (reading and writing are reciprocal processes which mean they work together) to help your students improve their skills. This is training that you will receive during your graduate degree fieldwork. Good luck!

Stacy’s Answer

Updated San Antonio, Texas

A few of my favorites are Lexia, which is a computer program, but if done right this program can really assist the students in some powerful learning.

Another favorite is Reading Recovery, this is an intervention for students with dyslexia as well as any other reading disability. This program is a scripted program by Haughlin Mifflin Harcourt. You defiantly need training by one of the representatives, but it's a great program if you like something that is structured and scripted.

My all time favorite intervention program for students with dyslexia or a reading disability is Orton Gilliangham. This is a program that is done through the Scottish Wright Hospital in Austin and San Antonio and is a certification. This program once you are trained can be brought to any district or state because it's not a scripted program it's best practices for students that struggle in reading. It includes all modalities of learning (<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">kinesthetic (moving), visual (seeing), auditory (hearing), and tactile (touching). This one is by far my favorite as has a lot of success. </span>

<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">I hope this helps and you find one that you are successful in. </span>

SARAH’s Answer

Updated San Antonio, Texas

I'm a reading specialist and dyslexia Designee. Certified special education. I have a proven record of getting high school students reading and writing in grade level within 1-3 years

Sasha’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

There are many programs out there and honestly, it's often up to the school and/or district what programs or curriculum they use. However, I'd suggest looking into: Reading Recovery, Wilson, and Orton-Gillingham. These are programs often used in many NYC schools I've worked with.

Sasha recommends the following next steps:

• Look for upcoming trainings

Eva-Lise’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

You don't list the options you have to choose from, but my advice is that any approach that is based in the Orton-Gillingham model is currently considered best practice. I recommend the Wilson Reading System in particular, which is what I use, but I also borrow materials and exercises from Primary Phonics and Linguistic Remedies, depending on a child's specific nerds.

Bonnie’s Answer

There are many things you could do. You mentioned school districts....It may be a good idea to follow the programs that the "most successful" districts are utilizing. Also, become a member with Reading Professional Magazines such as International Reading Association.

Bonnie recommends the following next steps:

• Become a member with Reading Professional Magazines.