Would a double major followed by a PhD be too much?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life in school, but I do want to teach at the college level. I'm debating between getting my PhD in history or English/writing. Would it be too much of a hassle to double major and then decide?
#double-major #phd #history #writing #creative-writing

2

Martina’s Answer

Double majoring is a lot of work and will take longer than the traditional 4 years. I also expected to teach at the college level and after obtaining a Masters degree in history I ended up as an adjunct teaching 7 classes per semester and not making enough money to survive. I still expect to obtain my Ph. D in History later however since there are very few full-time professorships available (since most schools use adjuncts) I have transitioned into museum as it is a bit more steady. My advice would be to take your time and really decided what your options are. Explore the job market for the type of work you would like to do. I love teaching and will go back to traditional teaching at some point but museum work is also teaching the public.

0

I double majored in film and media studies and sociology. I was interested in both of these topics and I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do as a career. I am so happy I majored in both of these things and didn't limit myself. I graduated in four years and I even almost minored in music, so I wasn't struggling to keep up (not to mention I was highly involved in extracurricular activities). I encourage you to pursue both of your interests and see where it takes you. You should just consider the practicalities as well, like if you could afford to spend more time in college if need be.

0