Should I apply for unpaid internships?

2

I have bills to pay, but internships seem to be the way to get work experience and most of those are unpaid. #starvingstudent #finance #budgeting #workexperience

2

Sabrina’s Answer

0
Hi Kimberly! If you can make time for an unpaid internship, it is definitely worth it. Many internships are only part time and most expect to work the intern's schedule around school and other commitments. You should at least apply for the ones you can find that appeal to you. Scheduling and hours can be part of the conversation if you get an interview.
I was lucky in college. I took an unpaid internship for a semester and took that semester off working. The non-profit I interned for liked me and asked me to stay for a second semester, but I told them I had to leave to get a paying job again as I was only able to afford one semester off. They ended-up turning my unpaid internship into a paid internship to keep me. It was a win-win situation and gave me great experience! If you do get an unpaid internship, take it very seriously (show-up on time, be willing to help with anything they ask for, dress well, put your best foot forward at all times) because you never know what it can turn into for the long-term if they are impressed with you. Good luck!
0

Debi’s Answer

0
Hi Kimberly. Internships and volunteering (both unpaid) provide valuable experience and networking opportunities. By giving your precious time, you are also learning new skills and making valuable contributions to an organization of choice.

Internships allow you to shine and showcase your skills, which could lead to employment opportunities within the organization or within an organization of others that you meet. My daughter's college internship with "Girls on the Run" provided a good foundation for her to continue as a volunteer representative for her current employer.

Best of luck to you!
0