Can I become an Wildlife Biologist by majoring in Biology (Environmental Science)?

1
Hi Autumn! My dream is also to become a wildlife biologist! I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in Wildlife Conservation Biology at my local university. I started at my local community college and got an associate degree in science. It's probably the best way to go because community college is cheaper than a university and you can finish most of the required general education classes then transfer. You have to focus on the math classes like calculus and statistics, and also lots of science courses like biology and chemistry. It's also great to get out there and volunteer in the field you'd like to work in like volunteering at the zoo! It's always a foot in the door. So yes, you can take environmental science. Fernanda D.
1

Dr. Ali’s Answer

0

Yes you can.  However, my advice is to get more information by research.  Example: if you look at LinkedIn profiles of "wildlife biologist" or read about the story/famous Wildlife Biologist you can find out "what did they study"?  You might be surprised for example that they started off in something like geography then became Wildlife Biologist and this would give you more ways to be successful in achieving your goal of being a Professional Wildlife Biologist.     Maybe zoology or veterinary science.  Also make sure the actual work is what your really want to do.  Example, a typical Wildlife Bio job involves:

Plan and coordinate wildlife assessment activities and research

Act as advocate and spokesperson for wildlife and ecosystem concerns within their scope of research

Interact with other scientists, professionals, and advocacy groups to preserve and monitor habitats and populations in the wild and in protection

Draft reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders, policy-makers and the public

Collect samples and conduct observational research in the lab, the field, and protected environments

Monitor and document animal behavior in the lab, the field, and protected environments

Make sure data/specimen collection and recordkeeping is accurate and adheres to relevant safety procedures

Communicate with national, regional and international initiatives in order to share information and assessment data

Continually review current research and scientific literature in the field

Consult on and implement habitat mitigation and remediation measures

Consult on environmental and site assessments as they affect wildlife biology

Travel to temporary field assignments in remote locations

Conduct and/or oversee wildlife population surveys

Provide information and expert testimony for ecological and environmental impact assessments

Provide technical expertise related to wildlife survey design

Prepare wildlife management plants

Monitor trends of wildlife populations

Consult on how to best mitigate the impacts of development on wildlife

I completely agree. I did my undergraduate in Kinesiology and doctorate in Molecular Biology, two relatively unrelated biology disciplines. What really mattered in the end were the skills I attained during graduate school and the direction of my research experience. Nick Schultz, Ph.D.
0