What is life like for a Surgeon?

2

I wanna know what people who have been through the schooling, and the residency's opinions are after the years of sacrifice.

#surgery #cardiothoracic-surgeon #medicine #surgeon #healthcare #doctor

2

James’s Answer

0
I think that it is important to start your answer at an earlier point. Personally, I always wanted to help people, and would often neglect doing things for myself, while in return, spend that time helping a neighbor or friend. Applying that to my medical career, school was not a sacrifice because I was learning about interesting things, residency was not a sacrifice because I was doing something that I had chosen. So really, it was something that I entered into that can be blamed on only by myself. I really liked taking care of the sickest people in the hospital, and I simply put myself onto that path.

The simple answer to your question is that money can not buy happiness. If you define money as an elevated income, fancy car, or big house, then the sacrifice is not really worth it, because there are easier paths. If your money is helping people and solving problems, then the term sacrifice does not come up because you have not lost anything, and are rewarded with a lot of satisfaction, and a sense that your time was spent in a worthwhile manner.

Something else in your question is the time factor. If you look back at the last four or five years of your life, you recall that they flew by. Looking forward, those same four or five years appear to be a wall. If overcoming the barrier yields an accomplished goal, then it is time well spent. If it is a "sacrifice", then there was probably a better path.
0