Deciding a minor

I'm in my first year of university and I recently decide that I'd like to minor in a different program from the one I'm in. But how do you decide a minor? Should it be based on your interests? Or based on a possible career path thats different from the one your'e currently on?
#minor #university #business #college #college-major

I agree with Jenna, your career path may change regardless of major or minor. In addition, I haven't really met anyone that has lost an opportunity because of their minor, in other words it can't hurt you, only help you! Therefore, make it count with something you are interested in. Remember, there are two levels of deciding a major and minor based on your interest, there is the actual function or job and then there is the industry. I can love music, but I wouldnt want to create it per say, therefore; I'd love to work in the music industry, just not doing music. So when selecting your minor, make sure it complements your interest with your major, industry you'd like to be part of or actual job; but the core principle is the same, something of interest to you. Furgencio Herrera

3

Tonya’s Answer

Best frame to approach university is the recognition that it is an institution that teaches you how to think and not necessarily one that trains you for a specific job in a specific field. That said, if you are not majoring in a business related field then I would recommend you consider doing a minor in an area like finance, communications, HR. As per earlier feedback, you may love an area but from a career perspective want to be a part of the "business end" of the field. I did a science degree and later found myself going back for post graduate work to obtain the business training - I chose a post graduate certificate at the college level in public relations and communications because I saw a need and a gap in my capabilities to reach non-science stakeholders.

0

Jenna’s Answer

Set up a time to meet with your academic adviser- they can probably give you some good guidance about selecting a minor. I had a minor and it complimented my interests, and also helped my career. I was going to take the classes anyway, so I thought it would be a good addition to my academic credentials. Your career path may change no matter what your major or minor is, so don't feel you've selected out of something due to your degree and/or minor.

0

Linda’s Answer

Teleola - I would focus on things that interest you so that you are always interested in what you are doing and not tied to a specific "job" - if you love what you do there will always be a path for you to follow - hope this helps!

0