Is it better to go to college first then military or military then college. Or can you go to school while you are in the military? And do you have any scholarships for going right into a officer.

I really want to go into the military but don't know if it would better me to go to college first or after. #military-service #military

5

Dawn’s Answer

COLLEGE FIRST. If you get a degree (let's say you do ROTC), if you don't end up liking the service, you always have your degree to fall back on and build on. In addition to the fact that military service will look good on a resume. When you enlist, you won't have that much time to go to school. If you enlist, the military pays 100% tuition. ROTC offers scholarships, including GRFD (Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty) which will keep you in the reserves or guard and not active duty (if AD is not what you want). I think that if you join the military right away, you will have less opportunities and take a lot longer to finish your degree. Deployments, family, and just the daily routine will make it a little more difficult to complete. That is why I recommend you go to school first.

0

It really just depends on you and what you are looking to get out of life. I had minimal college experience when joining the military. I am not in a MBA program and seeking a commission. If you have the drive and motivation to juggle life and school and work, without having to worry about who is paying for your tuition, then go military first. But if your only goal is to be an officer, you may want to go to college first and obtain the degree. You will have a better chance of being granted a commission if you have a GPA higher than 3.5.

0

Chermone’s Answer

Hi Sierra, it will really depend on what you want to do as a career. Going in Enlisted provides you with the GI Bill for college and on the job training (some of which can be used after the military). However, if you really want to be an officer, then going to school first will almost be a necessity. While you can go in Enlisted first and cross over in a few years, it's going to be harder and longer task to bear. If you go the college route first, the tuition will be all on you and your parents (if they are able to help). Both choices have their pros and cons. So in the end, it all depends on what you want to do in the military. Once you figure that out, you will know which route you have to take. Good luck!! I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.!!

0

Daniel’s Answer

There are specific jobs that require a degree, for example an aircraft pilot. Being a field I used to work in there are mixed emotions amongst officers and enlisted. I would recommend going into the reserves as an enlisted member and acquiring the degree in the field you would choose. The reserves would pay for most of the degree if not all and then you could cross into being an officer. The new Post 911 will give you great access to pursue your degree even further after you finish or retire after the military. You also command more respect by transitioning from an enlisted to officer. Finally, I recommend chosing a branch that will work with your degree. (Medical - Navy, Aviation - Air Force) Good luck and Semper Fidelis.

0

Falesha’s Answer

It all depends on you and what route you want to take. I went into the military and obtained by degrees while on active duty. I took full advantage of the Tuition Assistance, the NC PACE program and the ability to clep certain courses. By doing this I was able to save my GIBILL for my kids or my use after the military. There are several programs that you can apply for in reference go becoming an officer. There are programs that office a direct commission upon completion of training during college. Or you can apply of different programs after you enter such As MECP or OCS

0

Robert’s Answer

It sounds like you want to go to college at some point and into the military as an officer. If that is your goal, then I would suggest enrolling in a college ROTC program. There are scholarships available depending on which major you choose and how good your grades are. Another option is to attend a service academy where there is no cost to you. The third option to become an officer is to get your college degree and then go to Officer Training School (OTS).

Robert recommends the following next steps:

Here is a link for Air Force ROTC - https://www.afrotc.com/
Navy ROTC - http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/
Army ROTC - https://www.goarmy.com/rotc.html
The better your grades are, the better your chances are of getting an ROTC scholarship or acceptance to a service academy so study hard and do well in high school. Good luck.

0