If I want to become a physician assistant, should I major in biochemistry or biology?

I would like to attend a graduate school with enough experience so that i can become a PA.

#medicine #physician-assistant #hospital-and-health-care

5

Sandhya’s Answer

Hi Jasminne! The short answer is either one. It depends on which PA school(s) you apply to. Most PA programs require Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Anatomy 1 and 2, Physiology 1 and 2 and Microbiology (all with the lab course), So check what your PA programs requires and then go from there. This site might help...

https://www.thepalife.com/pa-program-picker/

Sandhya recommends the following next steps:

Choose which PA programs you want to apply to
Check what prerequisite courses they want
Pick the major that has most of those classes

0

Estelle’s Answer

Either one works. I recommend picking which one you like the best.

0

Hwal’s Answer

Jasminne,

As Sandhya said, you can major in either, although only if your choices come down to just these two majors, because you can major in anything in undergrad to apply to PA schools as long as you meet each program's admission requirements.

Hwal

0

Nurdan’s Answer

A comprehensive Biology (Zoology) program should be able to provide you the necessary background. Biochemistry is a branch of Biology, and will not be sufficient alone to knowledge you with e.g. human physiology.

0

Both are great majors. Pick the one that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for PA school.

0