3 answers
Asked Viewed 1624 times Translate

What is the name of the job that requires you to use cells to make tissue and organs outside of the body

I was interested in this when I did an orientation and they talked about this but I don't remember what the career was called #healthcare

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros
100% of 2 Students

3 answers

Updated Translate

Emmawilson’s Answer


I think you might be thinking of tissue engineering? There are lot of different types of people who work on tissue engineering. For example, Professor Robert Langer, who leads the lab at MIT got his training in chemical engineering. But, Anthony Atala who leads a lab at Wake Forest has a background in medicine.

Take a look at these articles about tissue engineering:




<html><head></head><body>Definitely an MD or PhD position, at least. Lots of schooling, but pretty cutting edge stuff. Here's another article: <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/health/research/scientists-make-progress-in-tailor-made-organs.html?pagewanted=all&amp;_moc.semityn.www" rel="nofollow">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/health/research/scientists-make-progress-in-tailor-made-organs.html?pagewanted=all&amp;_moc.semityn.www</a></body></html> Jared Chung BACKER

100% of 1 Pros
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate

NurseSandy’s Answer

Honestly, hon, that isnt a job that I've ever actually seen anyone do in the field. Sounds more like a research position. A pretty rare job, and you got to be good to get one. To get that kind of job, you need to be a researcher, which means working extra hard in science class and getting yourself into a greeeeeat big research university, and then doing a masters and maybe a PhD in a science field. If you want to wear a white lab coat and play with testtubes, go for it! Youre going to be a scientist!

There are also clinical laboratories that grow tissue and study the cells for various reasons. You might consider clnical laboratory scientist or medical technologist, pathologist, or cytotechnologist as a career. Mary Ruth Kriger

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

Michele’s Answer

Research in this, like growing entire new organs, has come very far and is very up and coming. Growing new organs is something stem cell researches are working on for instance. Something in biological engineering (not necessarily bio-medical, as that is a bit different) would be my best guess