I'm already a senior about to graduate, but what are your best tips for applying or getting ready for college?

1

I just want to help give advice to anyone out there! #college #college-advice #college-admissions #college-applications

1

Matthew’s Answer

0

Zayda,

Thanks for posting this question. It's good to consider your next steps as you prepare for the next season of life, and I'm sure other graduating seniors would want to take advantage of the time they have now before that season unfolds.

Hopefully you've already secured a spot on a college campus for next Fall, whether that's a traditional four-year school or a local community college. If you haven't, some four-year schools offer rolling admission, which would allow you to consider what schools provide the best training for you in terms of professional development and support on campus to help you succeed in every way possible. I hope that process has and continues to go well for you.

There are some things I would encourage you to consider as college approaches:

Matthew recommends the following next steps:

• Be mindful of your time, both now, during the summer and heading into the Fall. Finish your time at high school as strongly as possible. There's a good chance senioritis has bugged you for months, which is understandable because you've been in school for many years and simply want to be done! However, there's a strong chance you'll feel better about crossing the stage at graduation knowing you did everything you could with the time and the abilities you've been given. This summer, have fun! Go and do things you've always wanted to do! It's a chance to relax and reflect on all that's happened so far in your life. Finally, keep some kind of calendar with you as the Fall semester starts so you know how to manage your time and responsibilities with your assignments, your sleeping and eating (you'd be surprised how many people don't prioritize this), and your extra-curricular activities (clubs, organizations, etc.)
  • Be intentional about your goals. Take some time to figure out what you want to do and how you want to do it. If you don't have a major in mind, that's OK. There's plenty of time to explore different career fields - I'll share more on this later. In doing so, be sure to actually write your goals down somewhere secure where you can see them and remind yourself of why you're doing what you're doing at this time and in that place. Keep working toward them until you've reached them, and change them as needed.
  • Be sure to include a back-up plan! As you think about the biggest goal you have, think about another way to reach that goal in case "Plan A" doesn't work somehow. For example, I wanted to work at ESPN throughout high school and college. I applied for a position with the company during the Fall of my senior year. When I graduated in May of my senior year, I had no job offers whatsoever. Because I didn't have anything, my back-up plan was to work until something else happened. Luckily, ESPN worked out but later than I anticipated, so I had to keep working in a way I didn't originally have in mind.
  • Be open to what's ahead. You have an amazing opportunity to explore more of who you are and what's possible for you. Yes, there are some unexpected bumps and curves in the road. However, keep driving and watch what happens as you learn how to navigate them. Figuratively speaking, at one point you'll look in the rear-view mirror and smile because of how far you've come to be here!
0