What is the hardest part about being a music teacher, and what is the best part about teaching music?

Asked Margate, Florida

I'm planning on getting my degree in music education (possibly with a choral specialization) and I'm curious as to what the most difficult and most rewarding parts of teaching music are. What can I expect when I start teaching? Are there any skills I can start working on to help overcome difficulties, and what should I keep in mind as I work on my degree and as I enter the classroom? Is there anything you wish you had known? I've had a lot of experience with choral music, and I'm a student director for a younger ensemble (9-12 years old). This is definitely my passion-and definitely my future job- but I was curious about the experiences of professional music educators on the topic. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated, and I look forward to hearing more about my future career.
#musiceducation #music #music-education #choral-music #questions #teaching #teacher

Lissa’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Hello...

With budgeting issues in education today, the HARDEST part about being a music teacher would be finding and securing a position. Many schools throughout the country are losing their music programs due to a lack of funding. I am not stating this to discourage you, but to ensure that you consider other options, such as giving private lessons, or as an after school program.

On the other hand, the BEST part about teaching music is how rewarding it will be to teach a student a life-long skill....as well as to sit back and "hear" the benefits of your labor. The ability to play a musical instrument can be life-changing!!

Good luck with your "musical" endeavors!!