8
Updated 625 views Translate

What should i do in college if i love sports?

#football #basketball #college #athletics #athlete #sports

8

0

Jill’s Answer

Hi Brody,

I was in the same boat when I was in high school. I love sports and played them throughout my adolescence, but knew I wasn't going to play in college. Therefore, I was looking for any way to stay involved in sports while studying, and there are plenty of options!

1. Start with your school's athletics department. There are opportunities to volunteer and work at onsite athletics' events or supporting specific teams. I personally started out in sports information, but there are opportunities in several different branches of the athletics department.
  2. If you want to include sports in your major, there are plenty of opportunities there as well. Marketing, PR, Business, Sports Medicine, Journalism, etc.
  3. I used my experiences working in the athletics department at my university to help form my career path. I started as a broadcast journalism major, and then switched over to business and marketing as I started interning later in my sophomore/junior years.
  4. Use the contacts you make throughout to help find internships and opportunities during your summer and winter breaks (professors, coaches and administrators).

Jill recommends the following next steps:

Research your college's athletics department ahead of your first year.
If you don't have your heart set on a major, start with some broader courses in business and communications to help narrow your interests.
Contact administrators in the athletics department ahead of your first year to establish a connection.
0
0

Ty’s Answer

Hey, there are a few options to think about when approaching this question. First try to figure out which sports really interest you. Then try to think about what you could see yourself doing in that field whether it be in youth basketball like running camps, being a scout, video, sales, marketing, community relations, etc. Next, try to align your studies to match one of those fields. Example, if you had an interest on marketing, I would take sports marketing, digital marketing, business to business marketing, marketing research classes to gain the knowledge. And then try to find intern opportunities, more than one, that would help build. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful as these were the steps I tried to use when entering my career.
0
0

Ravi Kumar’s Answer

Hi Brody,

College is not only for study , Lots of sportsperson have come out of college team and they were able to mange both of them in college and made a big name for them in field of sports .

I will suggest that give your 100 % to the game you love and try to make to college team and then see , where it takes you .

0
0

James’s Answer

I played football for 18 years, DI and DIII football, and professional.

If you love sports, there is film, photography, media (broadcasting), advertising for sports, group sales positions, there's TONS, maybe you like science and want to be a trainer? My advice, figure out what you like best and STICK TO IT! haha Besides those I've listed you can always coach too.

James recommends the following next steps:

Figure out what you like to do
Reach out to a person in charge of that sector (write a letter, LinkedIn, in person)
Take your shot!
Thank you comment icon Thanks, now I know what to consider doing since im going to highschool. Ramses
0
0

Brad’s Answer

HI Brody,

If you have a passion for sports there are plenty of ways to get involved! If you want to pursue a career in sports you can look to see what majors might be offered like Sports Management. You can seek out internships within your school's athletic department. You can also seek out opportunities to work at your school's performance center or gym or get involved with the school's intramurals program. You can use the connections you make through academics, athletics, etc to leverage a future career! Best of luck!
0
0

Troy’s Answer

There are many career paths to pursue if you are interested in a career in sports ranging from data analytics/statistics, broadcasting, journalism, sales, marketing, finance, content creation (film and photography), physical/personal training, sports medicine, coaching. I would figure out what your strengths and interests are and align those together to find a potential occupation that interests you
0
0

Alison’s Answer

Hi Brody - There are a ton of ways to pursue your love of sports in college and in your professional career! In college, you can start by joining intramural, club, or varsity sports. This is great way to share your passion with other people at your school and make friends with people who have similar interests. Additionally, it provides insight to the Athletic program at your university. College athletics is a great career path with many different roles and responsibilities across the organization. Many colleges offer sports management courses that will teach you the skills needed to succeed in the industry! I'd also recommend thinking about what other areas interest you. Like any successful business, athletic programs at the college and professional levels have many different departments (i.e. sales, marketing, communications, event planning, operations, technology, etc.). Finding an area that interests you and then pursuing that within a sports organization can give you the best of the worlds! Good luck :)

0
0

Elizabeth’s Answer

Hi Brody,
If you love sports and want to stay involved in sports as a career you have lots of options. To name a few:
Sports medicine/
Orthopedic surgeon: if science intrests you

Physical therapy: if you'd enjoy rehabilitation of athletes

sports psychology: if you like psychology

Personal trainer: of you like working out and want to help others learn to. This may be a great place to start if you think you may like physical therapy. You can become a trainer pretty quickly and even use your training to earn extra money while seeing if you may like to pursue physical therapy

Coaching for schools: lots of teachers in schools are also coaches. This would be great if you enjoy kids

Counsel for sports team or association (in other words being an attorney for a team or association.
Being an attorney professional athletes / sports contract attorney: if you like law

I would recommend staying involved in the sports you love while pursuing an academic field that interests you.

Good luck!!
0