What is a good job to work for at 17?

Asked Lakeland, Florida

I really don't like fast foods i rather work in retail because i have bad experience with fast food places. #retail

Wallace’s Answer

Hi Samantha,

I have worked in various retail stores, Ross Dress for Less, Emporio Armani, Rite Aid and many others. Try to apply to different ones. Some cool benefits are store discounts. The pay isn’t bad and you learn how to multi-task, handle the pressures of customer service, improve communication, learn to work with other team members, and you can have different experiences that will help you mature into a professional. Other things you could consider is getting a job in a bank and other business offices. Summer is coming up and getting a job at fun place like the beach could be fun too. Start with what you are interested in and check out what kind of part times could be available. If you are saving up for something, try to see what pays more. Apply to a lot of places to get interview practice and dress to impress. First impressions could set you apart. Take care and good luck!

Hi Samantha,

Great question. I would check on Indeed.com to see what entry-level positions are available in your area. If you like retail, go for that. It allows you exposure for set hours, somewhat of a sales capacity and customer service. All of these aspects will be beneficial and help you in college. I'm sure you could walk into any nearby mall and ask if your favorite stores are hiring. Many of my friends got summer jobs as waiters/waitresses and it afforded them great experience coupled with a nice financial return.

Mike

thank you so much

Jimmy’s Answer

Updated Huntington, West Virginia

That's a great question Samantha and one that I had to figure out as well. I would definitely suggesting trying to find something that you are interested in doing, as you don't want to be stuck doing something you hate. Before deciding on anything I would suggest looking into what schedule you would be working, the overal pay, if there are any benefits / perks, as well as the location and environment. If you like to be outdoors in the sun then a lifeguard is a good option or a camp councilor. If you enjoy being around people and enjoy clothing then I would suggest checking around your local mall, as most stores are always looking for summer help. Indeed.com is also a great place to check for opening for specific interests. Hope this help you and good luck.

Kong’s Answer

Hi Samantha,

Retail is a great option for someone starting out. From retail, you will learn tangible skills such how to interact with customers as well the dynamics of the workplace. In addition, retail will also give you the flexibility to go to school and you will ultimately decide what career path you want to take.

Jordan’s Answer

Updated Brentwood, California
Hello Samantha, I have to agree with Mike on this. Retail and food service are great jobs for a 17 year old. Customer service goes a very long way when it comes to future careers and it always looks good on a resume. Working retail allows you to get used to having a set schedule, and may include discounts to where you're working. Working in food service is also great, because you may have the opportunity have an hourly pay + tips. Find a place that interests you and fill out an application. It's always easier to work at a place that you enjoy or sells a product that you personally use. Hope this helps! Jordan

Vicky’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Hi Samantha,

I think a good idea for looking for a job would be to consider the people around you that are already working, so that you can ask questions about their experiences in different jobs. It might reveal an aspect of a job that you may like or dislike, and help you to make a decision on where to try to get a job. You can get valuable knowledge by talking with people in different circles that you may know. Asking others about their work could potentially lead to a job and will help you to learn the skill of networking, which is important in today's occupational culture. I hope this helps to give you another avenue to help make a decision on where to work. Good Luck!

Jonathon’s Answer

Updated Huntington, West Virginia

Retail is a great way to gain experience, learn skills important to both following and leading. Wages are usually generous, and hours are flexible to allow you to concentrate on schooling. Just like any job, learn what you can, dedicate yourself to doing your best, and don't get sidetracked in your main career goal.

Mazdak’s Answer

Updated Hanover, Maryland
Retail is great option Samantha. Find out what stores offer things that align with your passions, then research their core values as a company. After you see a few your interested in, physically go and interact with the employees (without letting them know your interested in working there) and get a feel for the culture at the location nearest to you. Once you gathered all that information you should have a good idea on where you should apply and with the knowledge of the company and location that will equip you to crush the interview!