Valerie E.’s Avatar

Valerie E.

61

2

Is Organic Chemistry really a nightmare?

I'm taking Organic Chemistry next year and I'm scared that it will take many hours of studying for me to understand the concepts. Is it really as bad as everyone makes it seem? #organic-chemistry #medicine #pharmacy

My best advice is make a review sheet of the reactions, (hydrolysis, oxidation, etc) if your prof hasnt done so. Second, practice, practice, practice. You can sit there and memorize, but organic chemistry is a lot of applying your understanding. You start to notice patterns and realize "oh you use this and this happens".

Most importantly, talk to your professors. They'll give you strategies on how to approach problems.

Last updated May 30 at 05:21 PM

Valerie,

Organic chemistry doesn't have to be a "nightmare." I was worried about the difficulty before I took it, but I ended up really enjoying it, and can now see how it's really helpful in my graduate study. My advice is to make sure you build a good understanding with general chemistry classes so that you'll go into organic chemistry with the best foundational knowledge possible. Then, attend all the classes and keep practicing that 'electron pushing' until you feel more confident with it.

Hwal

Last updated Oct 26 at 10:07 PM