Skip to main content
1 answer
Asked 1285 views

If I had a B.Pharm degree, what would I do next if I wanted to do biochemical engineering/chemical engineering?

Okay, so basically I'm in my second year of the B.Pharm degree. I want to finish the degree.
What would be my next step?
In the end I want to do research in a direction that would incorporate biochemical engineering into my knowledge of medicines.
To put it into perspective; I wouldn't mind studying another four to six years after having done the B.Pharm degree if I could then have a career as a research scientist in drug design, or something along those lines. #chemical-engineering #biochemistry #bioengineering #organic-chemistry #drug-development #drug-discovery

Thank you comment icon What is a B Pharm Degree? Michael Trocchia

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you


1 answer

Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Daniela’s Answer

Hi David,

Work as a Clinical Research Scientist:

Clinical research scientists may work at universities, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies or for the federal government. These scientists typically perform analysis on cells, tissue and organs to identify bacteria and toxins with the goal of understanding the causes of diseases and being able to develop vaccines or medicines for treatment. However, some clinical research scientists may work directly with patients in health settings by administering clinical trial drugs and therapies, while others may instruct physicians, resident and technicians about medical laboratory procedures.

Research scientists have opportunities to advance to supervisory or project lead positions with enough experience and strong job performance. High-level managerial and administrative positions within their respective medical facilities may also be available with advanced experience and leadership acumen.

Success Tip:

Participate in continuing education. The body of knowledge in scientific fields changes radically and rapidly. Clinical research scientist may find it advantageous to participate in continuing education courses offered by the ACRP or another professional organization. Such training may come in the form of webinars, conferences, online classes or in-person courses.


I hope this tip can help you.