I am Carlos and I have been working in Public Relations for more than 15 years.
Regarding to your question, the requirements or strengths to become an amazing PR Specialist is related to the filed your are interested in, however here some general ones:
- Good writing / Be an storyteller: Working in PR means that you will need to write public statements , press releases, presentations, Q&As documents, among others. Its important for you to practice as much as you can and I would also recommend reading magazines and newspapers, for you to understand how is it done. Normally in the news business, everything needs to have a good story, and its an art to tell one in just a few paragraphs.
- Be Politic / Read people personality and interest: As a PR for any king of company or organization, you will need to interact with a lot of people that will want to hear from you. Its important for you to be always prepare before any meeting trying to get to know as much as possible about that person (now its easier than to the internet). Once you know that, be prepare to have a kind and friendly interaction, always focusing in his / her interest, but always putting yours in the middle.
- Crisis Management: In any company or organization, no matter how public or relevant it is, you will need to handle every crisis. This doesnt mean to solve it, but to communicate it in the best way possible, always prioritizing the best interest of your key stakeholders. For this is, the only option you have to be good at it, its practice. I recommend for you to enroll in any organization as a volunteer to manage their communication - no matter how small an organization is, they will always have crises, and it will start giving you a sense about this skill.
- Build strong connections: In PR, no matter the sector, you will need to build connections that allow you to share your messages externally.
I hope this is helpful.
carlos recommends the following next steps:
- Define the sector you are interested in. With this, you can start reading magazines about this topic, follow news, and identify the journalist or/and opion leasders. No matter is you are Port Charlotte, you can start with the local journal and move to a bigger city.