What are the difficulties of working as a clinical psychologist?

I want to go into the field of clinical psychology and work in a hospital setting. However I am trying to figure out the pros and cons before I make a final decision. #psychology #hospital #clinicalpsychology

1

Alissa’s Answer

Hi Hannah,

I can't personally speak to the challenges of being a clinical psychologist, but my mom works in this profession and I have received insight from her. Working in psychology usually requires a lot of empathy and patience. You will likely have to talk to multiple individuals all day. I know that some challenges my mom faces involve a lack of energy at the end of the day. After talking with and helping so many people discuss their fears or struggles, she sometimes doesn't have the energy for a long phone call or dinner chat with friends and family. However, this is not that often that this happens and the job seems very rewarding from my perspective of watching her. There is nothing like helping others to feel better, so I think no matter what, the challenges of this job will be outweighed by the successes. Good luck!

0