What opportunities are available in most high schools that will prepare me for college?

Updated Taylorsville, Utah

Hello, I am looking to find more opportunities in high schools to be more prepared for college. I have taken AP courses and will be taken some CE next year. Although, I just learned it is possible to graduate high school with an associate's degree. I have also learned about the AVID and GEAR UP program which helps prepare you in college and was wondering if there are more things I should be doing #startups #high-school #college #career-ready #entrepreneurship #extracurricular-activities #extracurricular #college-counselor

Austin’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

Hi Angela,

Wow you seem to be really proactive and it is great to see that you are looking to prepare yourself for college. The more prepared you are the better you will do as you will be able to handle the pressures and stress of college. AP courses are great as is AVID and GEAR UP so definitely keep being involved in those. You can definitely get an associates degree, but if you are planning on applying to a four year school then getting an associates degree would be a little repetitive. I would try and register to take SAT subject tests as they will make you a very attractive candidates for the schools that you are applying to. They are very similar to AP exams but instead of being scored from 0-5, they are scored from 0-800. They are scored in the same way the SAT is scored, meaning that a question right is +1, not answering is 0, and a question wrong is -1 or -2 (I forget). I took SAT subject tests for the same classes as my APs so I did not have to study additionally for the exam and they were pretty easy. I had my AP exams one week and about a week later I had my SAT subject tests. These exams look really good if you do well (anywhere 700+) and some school may even require you to take two of these exams.

Other than that you seem really prepared for college and there is nothing else that you can really. College is great so don't sweat it!!

Best,

Austin

Thank you for your feedback :)

Lev’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Since you tagged #startups, have you considered starting a startup or a business? Entrepreneurship is a great way to level up your skills across many areas and gain some real world experience.