Skip to main content
6 answers
6
Asked 580 views Translate

Does the major you studied relate to the job you have now?

#major #job #choosing-a-major #majors #college-major

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you

6

6 answers


0
Updated Translate

Christopher’s Answer

Hey Reva,

Great question... and I would say no. What you study can impact where you go and what you become but it isn't an end all. I studied marketing and now work in Human Resources and Talent Acquisition. I've learned that once you get that first job you start acquiring skills that can be transferable to other industries and verticals.




0
0
Updated Translate

Simeon’s Answer

I got a degree in Business Management for my undergrad and I currently am an IT auditor, so it's connected but not directly so. Most of the people in my particular department have more of an accounting background, especially the auditors on the accounting teams that I support with my work.
0
0
Updated Translate

Britta’s Answer

Yes, the job I currently have does relate to my double majors (Economics and International Affairs)! I am a Transfer Pricing Manager at PwC and my job involves analyzing economic principles applied in an international corporate tax environment. I am thankful that my job relates to what I studied in school, because I thoroughly enjoyed both of my majors.

0
0
Updated Translate

Samantha’s Answer

Hello!

I am currently majoring in Child and Youth Studies. Basically, it is a more broad education major. I have many different options job wise that I can enter with my major. I plan on getting my teaching license and working with middle school children. So far though, throughout college I have had jobs and internships that all relate to my major.
0
0
Updated Translate

Caity’s Answer

Hi Reva! In my case, my college major does not relate to the job I have now... or any job that I have had since I graduated. I majored in advertising, and I've worked as a tutor, an SEO content writer, a web design manager, a customer support representative, and now as a product manager. If you know what you want to do when you declare your major in college, that's great, but many people don't know or change their minds later. What's really important is being able to translate your skills and experience from one job (or area of study) to another, even if they seem different on the surface. Although the jobs I've held seem very diverse, they've all helped me to get to where I am now as a product manager—a career I didn't even know existed when I was in college.
0
0
Updated Translate

Ben’s Answer

Hi Reva!


What you major in college can absolutely have an effect on what your career is, especially right after graduation depending on field of study. Degrees related to finance, business, accounting, and economics can improve your odds odds of working in the financial services sector. Same for majoring in computer science or information technology and applying for positions related to IT. There are of course instances of graduates who majored in a liberal arts degree ending up in a highly-analytical role.


A few years ago, the U.S. Census Bureau identified only 27% of college grads work in a field related to their major. I absolutely identify with the other 73% of those graduates. At Ohio State University I majored in psychology and am currently an IT recruiter. There's certainly some tenets that can be applied to my job from what I studied in college, but my colleagues who majored in other degrees aren't behind or ahead from what they studied in my field.


The workforce is changing at a rapid pace it's possible what your career is 10 years from now on will have little to do with what you majored in.


Hope this helps!

Ben

0