What’s the best way to improve on your writing skills ex. Essay

Asked Dublin, Ohio

I normally don’t struggle to write, because once I have and idea it all goes fine. I just have trouble coming up with new and exciting things to write about when it comes to personal essays, college essays etc. if you know of any good way to improve my writing as far as vocabulary or formatting or just any tips in general please recommend something! (Specifically that has helped you become a better writer) #creative-writing #journalism #author #writing #general

Sean’s Answer

1) Just ask someone. If you need a topic or subject, look to a friend for inspiration. Who knows? Maybe they’ll have a suggestion that sparks a creative wildfire. Maybe the answer’s been staring you in the face, but you’ve been too close to it the whole time. That outside perspective might be the corner piece you’ve needed to tie together your wild, creative thoughts.

2) Use a writing prompt. If you’ve ever had a creative writing class, odds are you have been given a prompt. A quick internet search provided myriad examples: “Explain Christmas to a young pine tree,” “only on Sundays,” or “describe a day in the life of a valet.” There are entire books devoted to providing you with ideas. Sure, many others will be looking at the same ideas. But the beauty of creativity is that you can take the universal and make it unique.

3) This one is my favorite: Just start writing. It doesn’t matter if you have a plan; it doesn’t matter what you write or type. Just start putting words down. Spit on spelling and pooh-pooh punctuation. Let the words flow without thinking. Don’t pause to find the most apt adjective, just put down whatever word comes next. This is stream of consciousness, and it feels good to dip your toes in it. Sure, the first 100 words that come to mind won’t be worth much as a whole. But you never know what you’ll find in that stream. If just one or two of those words — or even an entire phrase — ends up inspiring something greater, you’ve made progress. The human mind wants to be creative, even if it’s shy about it sometimes.

4) Read. As much as you can.