Skip to main content
1 answer
1
Asked 144 views

I'm 16 and have nothing going for myself, what should I do?

I finally figured out that I want to major cybersecurity in college. I do believe I would find joy in that career as it uses a mix of networking and security. However, currently I'm unemployed and making no money for myself. Granted, I'm grateful for how I'm living now (I'm well taken care of) and very healthy which I'm grateful for, I lack financially. I've made about 70 applications to fast food chains, grocery stores, and other places in which none of them accepted me (or I didn't hear back from)

Do you have any advice?


1

1 answer


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jean Noel’s Answer

Hi - First, let's address the most important truth here: **Having your physical needs met, being healthy, and realizing what you want to pursue at age 16 is NOT "having nothing going for yourself."** You are actually in an incredible position. Most adults in their late 20s still don't know what career field they want to enter—you already identified **cybersecurity**, which is one of the highest-growth, highest-paying, and most engaging fields in technology.

Not getting hired at retail or fast-food chains right now is extremely common. Many of those hiring systems use automated filters, require 18+ applicants for late-night shifts, or receive hundreds of applications for a single opening. It is not a reflection of your worth or potential.

Here is a 4-step action plan to turn your current position into a major advantage for your career and pocketbook.

---

### 1. Build Cybersecurity Skills for Free (Right Now)

You don't need a job or college to start building real-world cybersecurity skills today. The cyber industry values **proven skills and certifications** far more than entry-level fast-food experience.

* **TryHackMe & Hack The Box:** Create free accounts on [TryHackMe](https://tryhackme.com) (start with the "Pre-Security" and "Complete Beginner" paths). It gamifies learning networking, Linux, and web security.
* **OverTheWire (Bandit):** A free, text-based wargame that teaches you the Linux command line from scratch—a fundamental requirement for networking and security.
* **Learn Networking Basics:** Network fundamentals (TCP/IP, DNS, Subnetting, OSI model) are 70% of cybersecurity. Watch NetworkChuck or Professor Messer on YouTube for free Comptia Network+ and Security+ prep courses.

---

### 2. Pivot Your Job Search Strategy

If online applications for corporate chains aren't working, shift to local and informal opportunities that put cash in your pocket while building relevant experience:

1. **Target Local Small Businesses in Person:**
* Walk into local print shops, family-owned grocery stores, or repair shops during slow hours (e.g., 2:00 PM Tuesday). Ask to speak to a manager and politely express that you live nearby and are eager to work. Small business owners hire on personality and reliability rather than automated resume software.


2. **Offer Local Tech/IT Help for Cash:**
* Put up flyers in your neighborhood or post on local community boards (with parent/guardian permission) offering basic tech support: setting up Wi-Fi routers, securing home networks, removing malware, or configuring smart home devices for neighbors.


3. **Explore Youth Employment Programs:**
* Check your local city or county government website for youth workforce programs or summer internship initiatives funded for teens aged 14–18.



---

### 3. Build a Portfolio That Beats Any Fast-Food Resume

By the time you apply to college or entry-level tech roles, a github repository or home lab will make you stand out above 95% of applicants your age.

* **Build a Home Lab:** Use free software like VirtualBox to set up a virtual machine running Linux (e.g., Kali Linux or Ubuntu) on your home computer.
* **Document Everything:** Write brief summaries or blog posts of the TryHackMe rooms you complete or projects you build. Showing how you solve problems is a massive asset in tech interviews.

---

### 4. Set Up Your Financial Foundation

Since you are 16 and currently well cared for with no major living expenses, every dollar you earn or save goes directly toward your future flexibility.

1. **Open a High-Yield Custodial Account:** Ask a parent or guardian to help you open a joint/custodial savings account so any money you earn earns compound interest rather than sitting idle.
2. **Set a Target for Certifications:** Aim to save **$250–$350** for your first official entry-level certification exam (such as CompTIA Security+ or Cisco CCST Networking) before you graduate high school.

---
0