What is some of the stress that first year generations face from living with only one parent?

Asked Chicago, Illinois

As a freshman student who is the oldest from 2 younger siblings, studying psychology. #consulting #students

Maryann’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I’m not sure that the challenges of being in a one parent household are generational. I have no personal experience here, but I believe that you and your siblings should be as supportive as you are able in helping each other while not sacrificing your goals and ambitions. You may wish to discuss this question with a professional counseler at your school.

Maryann recommends the following next steps:

• Make an appointment with a school counselor
  • Be honest with your family about your concerns

Alexandra’s Answer

My daughter is the first one in my family who was born in America and lives with me only. She faces many challenges: from people not knowing how to pronounce her name, to being asked if English is her first language, and feeling different from others. I always tell her that being a first-generation American with a single parent makes her path unique and exciting and that she can still achieve the same success in school as other kids and have fun, too! I emphasize to her that we speak English really well in the family but that she is happy and lucky to also speak a second language. I try to share our culture with her friends from different backgrounds by having playdates and attending social events. I encourage her to learn about the cultures of her other friends.

Alexandra recommends the following next steps:

• Make a list of the things that stress you out and think about what you can do to address them
  • Make a list of the positive things about your situation and share those with friends