The rate of unemployment due to automation keeps increasing and there is no way of eradicating it. Is getting a higher degree the only way to get a job in the near future ?

Asked Middletown, Ohio

Katie’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

No, I don't think that getting a higher degree is the only way to get a job in the near future. There are lots of folks working in the trades, so if school isn't your thing then that is another area to look into. In my area there were technical high schools that taught a trade. I don't think there are many of these left, but you could look into those. The other thing that I've always told people is that there will always be a need for plumbers, electricians, welders, etc. Those are great jobs that pay a great wage. Most have unions that look out for the employees as well. If you aren't sure that you want to get a higher degree try a trade first. You can always go onto college later if you find that you want to. You should also check out your local community college. Many times they offer a lot of classes in non-traditional career paths, so that might help you figure out what will work for your future.

Monica’s Answer

Hi Akua, I agree with much of what was said above! There will many job opportunities in the future, both for people with higher education degrees and trade certifications. While automation has changed the job landscape today, I don't believe there will be fewer jobs in the future. I believe there will be more!

Automation has most strongly impacted manufacturing & industrial type jobs. Jobs that are likely to be repetitive in nature. However, as those jobs go away, new jobs around data analysis, or developing the automation or machine learning capabilities arise!

It depends much more on what you're interested in and what kind of job you want. Once you identify that, you can learn what the best way to get those jobs are, and follow that path. Hope that helps!

Jamie’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Become a life long learner.  Process automation isn't going away.  Automating away the boring tasks allows us all to work on higher value work that is more fun and allows companies to invest in other areas that will more than likely allow us to expand our skills sets.   Higher degree not needed, but you do need to have a love for learning and ability to download a tool and practice using within your job.  As shared above, trades could be a wonderful career if that type of work interests you.    Good Luck!