Is the adjustment as hard as everyone makes it out to be?

Asked Dobbs Ferry, New York

Lillian’s Answer

Hi Antonella,

I assume you mean the adjustment from high school to college--the adjustment is different for everyone since a lot of it is due to personality and individual circumstances. For example, are you someone that likes to plan ahead? Are you someone who is naturally a good student? Are you someone who thrives with a strong social network?

The fact that you're asking this question now means you are looking ahead, which is great! The next step is to do some self-reflection on your strengths and weaknesses. Find ways to utilize those strengths in college. For example, if you know you are a social butterfly, use that ability to network and make friends by joining lots of clubs and organizations. Also do some research into how to help improve your weaknesses. For example, if you know you aren't great at studying, research into resources like free tutoring or study groups at your university to give you more support in this area.

I would also recommend finding a mentor. Depending on your college, there should be some kind of mentoring program in place. Talk to your academic advisor/counselor and see if they can connect you with someone who can give you well-rounded support and answer your questions about adjusting to college.

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi Antonella,

In my experience, as long as you find a balance between your studies and finding ways to de-stress. Transitioning from your parents home to more independence is something that takes adjusting to, but my advice would be to keep your focus in your studies. With the new found independence it's easy to get distracted. make sure you are eating a proper diet and finding some time for yourself, or with friends. Having a good support system will definitely plan a role in assisting if you ever find yourself in times of feeling uncomfortable with the transition.

Hope that helps!

Austin’s Answer

It can be intimidating but I would say a big thing for me was to find groups of other people with similar interests. That helps with making new friends and learning about things that you are passionate about..