Can music be a good career path for me?

I've been interested in music in one way or another as long as I can remember. I love listening to hip-hop, jazz, rnb, etc. as well as I love playing it. My dad is the one who introduced music to me early in life. He would always play the bass and drums. I have my share in a few instruments such as tenor saxophone, guitar, coungas, bongos, drums, piano, and bass. Guitar and piano are my personal favorites. I also have an uncle who produces his own music as well as play it in a band. I'm currently stuck in a fork in the road for deciding my careers. Do you think I should set both my feet into the music industry? Why should I or shouldn't? #music #musician #singer #music-industry #music-production

Kela’s Answer

Yes! At this point it sounds like your interests are so broad in music that you just need to keep exploring and let the right path find you.

However, I would not recommend putting the cart before the horse and deciding on a career in music for the career's sake. To choose this path--whether you are an artist, a side player, a producer, an engineer, or in any facet of the industry--it has to be because you're passionate about it. And you have to stay in touch with your passion for music above all else. This is a very tough industry and although there are many potential career paths within it, in all honesty it is not the easiest career to pick. You really have to have a lot of passion and ability to dedicate yourself to it for it to reward you.

It sounds like you come from a musical family, which is great, and you have a lot of natural enthusiasm and interest, which is also great! Now you need to start paying attention to exactly which things you like doing the best, and start envisioning what you want. Then develop focus. You have to stick with it. It can take a long time. But if you want it, you can do it.

All the best!

Darcy’s Answer

Hi!

This is a great question. I play violin, piano and I sing, and while I did not end up majoring in music, I think it is a great field, and can be super rewarding!

First, you may notice that I do not work in the music industry currently. While this is partially true, I still do sing and play professionally occasionally on the side.

Ultimately, when I was deciding whether or not to major in music myself, what it boiled down to for me was potential earnings. I felt I had a better chance of earning more if I didn't major in music. I also wanted to start a family eventually, and most musicians/performers work nights and weekends, which was not conducive to having small children.

Many of my teachers were professional musicians who played in the Columbus Symphony, and taught on the side. This helped them supplement their income, and bring up their yearly earnings.

In the end, I minored in music performance, and pursued another career and did music on the side. I will sing/play in weddings etc. from time to time - mostly for fun, but it can also be quite lucrative if you have spare time on the weekends.

Music is still a HUGE part of my life, so whatever you do - even if you don't want to do it for a living - keep it in your life. My husband is a musician as well as two of our boys, so we enjoy making music together as a family, and it is something very special for all of us.

Good luck to you, and follow your heart!

Darcy recommends the following next steps:

• Research salaries for jobs you may be interested in

Molly’s Answer

Follow your passion in life!! It sounds like you already know the music industry is for you, so keep pursuing it. Try not to pigeon hole yourself into one role though. It sounds like you are already open minded to different instruments, so exploring different careers within the industry is a great start. Music is my absolute passion in life, however I have limited talent and know it is not what will pay my bills. To stay connected, I see as many shows as I can, as well as volunteer at art/music events.

Molly recommends the following next steps:

• My suggestion to you would be to continue exploring different aspects of the musical world, but also focus on learning about the business world. Take business courses in college, and learn how you can manage a career in music, and be successful.

Chandra’s Answer

There are lots of interesting and perfect jobs in the music industry.

I would suggest that figuring out how to make sure that musicians work and are paid for their work is a great job for anybody with the creativity and you need dare to take it on.

Pankaj’s Answer

You have a talent in that you can play multiple musical instruments. Since your uncle produces music, you could get guidance and support from him as well. You love this field so I would suggest you can choose music as career option at least invest a couple of years and see how it goes. Give everything you've got. Let the creativity within you flourish.